Where am I?
The Charles Jeffers Glik Testing Center
Dedicated in 2007, the Charles Jeffers Glik Testing Center provides placement testing for incoming students using the COMPASS Placement Test developed by American College Testing. A low-distraciton testing environment is available for students with academic accommodations.
There is no charge for current Fontbonne students and Fontbonne alumni to take a test at the Kinkel Center. Test proctoring is free for current Fontbonne students and Fontbonne alumni.
There is a charge for students enrolled at other institutions who are not current Fontbonne students or alumni. The fee for proctoring tests for non-Fontbonne students is $20, cash or check (made out to the Kinkel Center).
It is the responsibility of the student to confer with the instructor about testing in the Center, to decide upon an appropriate time to take the test, to remind the instructor to deliver the test to the Center, then to schedule an appointment with the Center at least 24 hours in advance of the test to insure the availability of a proctor. Failure to schedule an appointment often results in disappointment on the part of the student when no one is available to proctor the test. A photo ID is required for identification.
Placement tests are scheduled by the Admissions offices of Fontbonne University. Appointments must be made at least 24 hours in advance and are subject to proctor availability. If you have additional questions about placement testing, please call (314) 889-4571. Fontbonne University uses the Compass/ACT test for placement purposes.
Information About the Compass/ACT Placement Test
The purpose of the placement test is to verify that your academic skills are strong enough to ensure that you will be successful in college-level courses. The Kinkel Center for Academic Resources will provide pencils, scratch paper, and the appropriate calculator for your use. Please bring a photo ID for identification. ACT policies permit only one retest for the Compass Placement Exam. Sample questions for the Compass Placement Test of math, reading, and writing can be accessed at:
Math Placement Test
Prior to taking the math placement test, it is recommended that you review the following skills:
- fractions, decimals, percentages
- exponent rules
- simplifying polynomial equations
- solving linear equations
- factoring and solving quadratic equations
The following websites offer tutorials on basic math and algebraic skills. They may be helpful in your review:
- Math.com - This site offers help on basic-math and algebra skills. It has step-by-step review sections for fractions, decimals, integers, exponents, percentages, and square roots. It also has a variety of special-purpose calculators for you to experiment with.
- Algebra Help - A comprehensive online source for help in algebra, offering the latest technology, lessons to learn or refresh old skills, calculators that show how to solve problems step by step, and interactive worksheets for testing skills.
- Purplemath - Purplemath’s algebra modules give practical tips, hints, and examples, and point out common mistakes. They are cross-referenced, and some contain short quizzes. Contents include:
- Radicals (square roots)
- Canceling Units
- Factoring Quadratics
- Function Notation
- Word Problems
- Radicals (square roots)