Where am I?
Fontbonne University Spring Institute presents...
How Does Ongoing Classroom Assessment Guide Mathematics Instruction?
Elementary, Middle and Secondary School Sessions ( Grades K - 12)
Elementary registration is at capacity and has closed. Grades 6-8 and 9-12 will be combined to cover math from grade 6 through Algebra.
DATE: February 23, 2013
TIME: 8:45 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
REGISTRATION FEE: $195
Registration fee includes:
- Math Solutions resource book of classroom-tested lessons,
- A sample kit of manipulative materials
- A subscription to Math Solutions online newsletter
- Discounts on Math Solutions books and resources
- Morning coffee, box lunch and beverage
LOCATION: Fontbonne University
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: January 23, 2013
Payment must accompany the registration form to reserve seating.
CREDIT: Optional 1-2 credit hours available (see Registration Form).
CONTACT: Betty Geeser at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-889-4536.
Making sense is the key to learning mathematics. Without an instructional focus on understanding, students are at risk of viewing mathematics as only a collection of procedures to be followed. This session helps teachers use assessment, strategies throughout the instructional cycle to reveal students' understandings and misconceptions. Participants expand their expertise in obtaining and using information from teacher-student discussions, student responses on written tasks, classroom discussions, and small group interactions. During this course, teachers explore three fundamental questions: (1) What does it mean to assess understanding? (2) What are practical ways to incorporate assessment as an ongoing aspect of instruction? and (3) How can we use assessment information to support learning and improve instruction?
Through hands-on experience teachers will:
- Experience and analyze strategies that increase the use of formative assessment
- Develop questioning strategies that can be used to gather formative and summative assessment data
- Look at the effects of classroom culture and routines on developing an environment in which every student actions drives assessment
- Increase their skills of interpreting the data gathered from formative assessment
- Deepen their knowledge and understanding of the Common Core State Standards Mathematical Practices.
What is Math Solutions?
As a thriving organization responsive to a changing world, Math Solutions is dedicated to improving students' learning of mathematics by providing the highest-quality professional development services, product, and resources to educators. For more information, please visit www.mathsolutions.com .
Marilyn Burns, founder of Math Solutions, is one of today's most highly respected mathematics educators. For more than 40 years, Marilyn has taught children, led professional developement sessions, spoken at educational conferences nationwide, written children's books, and created mathematics resources for teachers and administrators. Although, Marilyn is no longer conducting workshops, she still plays a major role within Math Solutions.