Where am I?
Fontbonne University Spring Institute presents...
Math Solutions® Developing Understanding of the Standards for Mathematical Practice (K-8)
- Empowering students to develop a deep understanding of mathematics and use that understanding to reason and solve problems, make sense of new learning, and communicate their thinking skills to others, is among the highest priorities of the Common Core State Standards.
- Another significant component of the Common Core is the Standards for Mathematical Practices. These eight practices reflect the most advanced and innovative thinking about how all students should interact with math content to master essential skills and their underlying concepts
- During this one-day institute, we will align what educators already know with what they need to learn about developing expertise in the "process and efficiences" outlined in the Standards.
- Components of the day will include:
- Logical Reasoning and Classroom Discourse
- How Students Learn
- Comparing Mathematical Tasks
- The Nature of Tasks
- Transforming Tasks
- Using Tools to Develop Understanding
DATE: March 1, 2014
TIME: 8:45 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
REGISTRATION FEE: $195
Limited Seating: Group Grades K-5 - 40 Participants: Group Grades 6-8 - 40 participants.
Registration fee includes:
- Math Solutions resource book of classroom-tested lessons,
- A sample kit of manipulative materials
- A subscription to Math Solutions online newsletter
- Discounts on Math Solutions books and resources
- Morning coffee, box lunch and beverages
LOCATION: Fontbonne University (Anheuser-Busch Hall and Dunham Student Activity Center)
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: January 24, 2014 or before if limit is met earlier
Payment must accompany the registration form to reserve seating.
CREDIT: Optional 1-2 credit hours available (see Registration Form).
CONTACT: Betty Geeser at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-889-4536.
What is Math Solutions?
As a thriving organization responsive to a changing world, Math Solutions is dedicated to improving students' learning of mathematics by providing the highest-quality professional development services, product, and resources to educators. For more information, please visit www.mathsolutions.com .
Marilyn Burns, founder of Math Solutions, is one of today's most highly respected mathematics educators. For more than 40 years, Marilyn has taught children, led professional developement sessions, spoken at educational conferences nationwide, written children's books, and created mathematics resources for teachers and administrators. Although, Marilyn is no longer conducting workshops, she still plays a major role within Math Solutions.