Where am I?
Competency Test for INT199
Credit by Exam for INT199 Information Navigation & Evaluation
Any student who is not a freshman and who believes that he or she has sufficient information research knowledge and is experienced in the use of online resources may take a Competency Test to receive Credit by Exam for INT199 Information Navigation and Evaluation. If the student passes the test, one hour of credit for INT199, a general education requirement under Managing Information, is awarded and will be recorded on the transcript during the semester in which the student passes the test.
The Competency Test:
- Requires a $60.00 fee to register.
- May not be repeated. If a student fails the test by receiving a score of 59% (or lower), the course must be taken.
Registering for the Competency Test
- The student must obtain a 4-ply Request Form for INT199 Information Navigation & Evaluation Competency Test from the Registrar’s Office.
- Complete the form and attach a check for $60.00 made payable to Fontbonne University.
- Return the form to one of the Reference Librarians in the Library at least one week prior to the publicized test date.
- Within 48 hours of the receipt of the completed form, an INT199 instructor will notify the student by phone or via the student’s Fontbonne e-mail address of approval of his/her request (including date, time and location of the test), or rejection of the request. Rejections will generally indicate that the test is full or the student is not currently registered at Fontbonne.
- The test will be administered in the INFORMATION COMMONS on the 1st floor of the Jack C. Taylor Library, unless otherwise notified. The test must be taken on campus. There is no provision for off-campus proctoring of this test.
- A maximum of 14 students may take the test on a first come/first served basis on any given date.
- All tests begin promptly at 10:00 A.M on scheduled Saturdays and have a three hour time limit for completion. Please arrive 15 minutes early.
Upcoming Test Dates
- May 4
- June 15
- July 20
The student must arrive at the INFORMATION COMMONS with a valid Fontbonne student ID card. It is critical that a student has his/her USERNAME and PASSWORD set up prior to the test, as the exam is given via Blackboard (Bb) and the test administrator does not have access to this information.
NOTICE: Students who fail to show up for the scheduled test date automatically forfeit their test fee and must re-apply to take the exam on another date.
Preparing for the Competency Test
To pass the Competency Test, it is essential that students are thoroughly prepared. The Competency Test is based on the Association of College and Research Libraries’ Information Competency Standards and Performance Indicators.
- Carefully read the textbook The College Student’s Research Companion (5th edition) by Arlene Rodda Quaratiello. The textbook may be purchased at the bookstore. Additionally, two copies are available in Reserves at the Library Circulation Desk. They must be used in the Library.
- Be familiar with library policies and procedures as explained on the Library website.
- Practice navigating Fontbonne's Online Catalog, and using both Bridges and MOBIUS catalogs. These are accessible via the Library website along with a brief explanation of the system.
- Practice navigating the Digital Resources via the Library website. Be familiar with the various types of databases (multidisciplinary vs. subject specific & periodical vs. reference).
- Practice using Journals A-to-Z, the tool for locating journal titles and specific journal articles.
Upon completion of the test, a student who has achieved a score of 60% or higher will have the INT199 Information Navigation and Evaluation course recorded on their transcript as ‘credit by exam’ for one hour of credit. A student who has achieved a score of 59% or lower must register for and successfully complete the INT199 course to meet the general education requirement.
Questions regarding the Competency Test for INT199 may be directed to Julie Portman at 314-889-4569 firstname.lastname@example.org.