This page contains:
- Links to SUBJECT pages (on the right)
- Reference works (encyclopedias, dictionaries, etc.) for background information
- Links to statistical information
Subject & Reference Pages
Not sure where to start? The Reference Librarians (Peggy, Jane, Justin) are available to answer your questions or assist with your research. You can also send an e-mail to LibraryHelp@fontbonne.edu.
Reference -- for Background Information
- This reference source provides fully searchable full-text content from McGraw-Hill's Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, research updates, definitions, multi-media, illustrations, graphics and biographies.
- Subjects: All sciences, technology, mathematics, medicine, computing, food science, and psychology.
- This reference source contains over 3,000,000 full-text entries from nearly 500 encyclopedias, dictionaries, biographies, chronologies, speeches and images.
- Subjects: All areas of academic study.
Berg Fashion Library
- Contains the digital version of the 10 volume print reference source entitled Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion as well as may other e-books and articles related to fashion and culture. The print version of the Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion is available in the Information Commons/Reference Room of the library, call number: GT507 .E54 2010.
- Subjects: Disciplines as diverse as anthropology, art history, history, sociology, geography, folklore, museum studies, theatre, and cultural studies as well as fashion and textiles will find insights into people and cultures all over the world.
Britannica Online Academic Edition
- This reference source provides full-text documents, facts & figures, video and images, timelines, world data, world atlas and a gateway to the classics.
- Subjects: All topics -- science, geography, world studies, history, daily life, ecology, sports, technology, and the arts.
Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) for Consumers
- Written in lay terms and based on the official FDA-approved drug information.
- Gives consumers plain-English explanations for the safe and effective use of prescription and non-prescription medication that is consistent with information referenced by healthcare professionals using FDA approved Product Labels and FDA approved Patient Information Leaflets.
Famous Quotes & Authors
- In Famous Quotes and Authors you'll find the wit and wisdom of men and women from all walks of life and from all ages - from Benjamin Franklin to Ronald Reagan, Abraham Lincoln to William Shakespeare, Margaret Mead to Garrison Keillor.
Food in Context
- Examines food in relationship to nutrition, world health issues, agriculture, environmental concerns, current events and political decision-making.
Oxford English Dictionary
- This historical dictionary is the accepted authority on the evolution of the English language, tracing the usage of words over the past 1000 years.
Bureau of Labor Statistics: Economy at a Glance
- Statistics provided nationally and by state, include unemployment figures, wage information, employment projections, maps, and tools.
Economic Mobility Project
- Focuses public attention on economic mobility---the ability to move up or down the income ladder within a lifetime, or from one generation to the next. Nonpartisan presentation of the facts, figures and trends in mobility.
International Economic Statistics (IES)
- A product of the St. Louis Federal Reserve Library, this portal simplifies the search for world-wide economic indicators.
Missouri Census Data Center
- Information on county population estimates, migration profiles, and other census data.
Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Resources include policies, statistics, and analysis of current world economic and social issues.
- Official statistics from countries, governmental agencies and intergovernmental organizations.
State & County Quick Facts
- Quick, easy access to facts about people, business, and geography from the U.S. Census Bureau.
Statistical Abstract of the United States
- Published since 1878, this is the authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
- [Print versions are available in the Library Reference Room (call # HA202 .U5)]
- [Earlier editions are available on the Census website]
- Prepared by the CIA, this resource includes data on countries worldwide as well as statistical information on geography, people, economy, communication, and transportation.