Where am I?
Professor of Sociology
- BA Sociology, Washington University in St. Louis
- MA Sociology, Yale University
- M.Phil. Social Psychology, Medical Sociology/Social Psychiatry, Yale University
- Ph.D. Medical Sociology, Yale University
- C.S.P. Certified Sociological Practitioner, Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology
- M.P.E. Psychiatric Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Washington University in St. Louis
Research Area/Scholarly Interests:
Dr. Phelps’ research interests include caregiving, race, alcohol studies, illness prevention, complementary medicine/alternative healing and mental health services
- Book: Phelps, Deborah L. Frank’s Arms: Stories & Lessons from a Caregiver & Patient Advocate
- Presentation at the Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology annual conference, "Teaching Environmental Gerontology in a "Change the World" Context: A Practical Approach towards Combating Ageism through Student-Accessible Applied Sociology." Tina Quartaroli (Future Age Consulting Inc.); Michael Hirsch (Huston-Tillotson University); and Deborah Phelps (Fontbonne University), Pittsburgh, PA, October, 2014.
- Presentation at the Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology annual conference, "Holding The Moral High Ground: Advising ProChoice Activists on Messaging," Michael Hirsch, Huston-Tillotson University and Deborah Phelps, Fontbonne University, Portland, OR, October 5, 2013.
- Panelist at the AACS annual conference "What Goes Around Comes Around: Reconsidering Definition of Practice—Ideas, Actions and Skills," with Stephen Steele (Anne Arundel), Deborah Phelps (Fontbonne), Marilyn Dyck (Doorways), Ross Koppel (UPenn), Lubo Popov (Bowling Green State), and Jim Wiest (Wiest Consultants, October 4, 2013.
- Presentation at the Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology annual conference, "Clinical Approaches to Supporting Women’s Social Experiences in Retirement Communities," Deborah Phelps, Fontbonne University and Tina Quartaroli, University of Central Missouri, Milwaukee, WI, October 6, 2012.
- Organizer of Clinical Session and Presentation at the Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology annual conference, "Clinical Sociology and Complementary Medicine." New Orleans, LA, October 14, 2011.
- Presentation associated with the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, Fontbonne University, "Changes Toward a Learner-Centered Course." St. Louis, Missouri, March 14, 2011.
- Presentation at the Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology annual conference, "Energy Work and Sociological Practice." St. Louis, Missouri, October 15, 2010.
- Yale Club of St. LOuis
- American Association of University Professors
- Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology (AACS)
- Commission on the Accreditation of Programs in Applied and Clinical Sociology (CAPACS)
- American Sociological Association (ASA)
- Midwest Sociological Society (MSS)
- Alpha Kappa Delta International Sociology Honor Society (AKD)
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Survey of Sociology
- Globalization and the Human Condition
- Sociology of Religion
- Diversity Studies
- Sociological Research Methods
- Social Problems
- Social Theory
Department of Behavioral Sciences
6800 Wydown Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105
Phone: (314) 889-4552
Office: 314B East Building