Where am I?
Assistant Professor and Director of Psychology
- Ph.D. Psychology, Washington University in St. Louis
- MS Psychology, Washington University in St. Louis
- BA Psychology and Sociology, Lindenwood University
Research Area/Scholarly Interests:
Dr. Newman conducts research in the areas of personality and social psychology. She is interested in how people's self-perceptions, values, and goals influence the decisions they make. One recent line of work investigates how narcissists' interpersonal goals influence the way they interact with other people. A separate line of work is aimed at understanding the extent to which people have the ability to increase their happiness and life satisfaction.
- Strube, M. J., & Newman, L. C. (2005). Psychometrics. In J. T. Cacioppo, L. G. Tassinary, & G. G. Berntson (Eds.), Handbook of psychophysiology. London: Cambridge University Press.
- Strube, M. J., Hanson, J. S., & Newman, L. C. (2003). The virtues and vices of personal control. In E. Chang & L. Sanna (Eds.), Personality, adjustment, and strategy: Beyond virtue and vice. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Newman, L. C., & Larsen, R. J. (in press). Taking Sides: Clashing views in personality psychology. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Newman, L. C., & Larsen, R. J. (in press). How much of our happiness is within our control? Chapter to appear in L. C. Newman & R. J. Larsen (Eds.), Taking sides: Clashing views in personality psychology. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Recent Conference Presentations:
- Newman, L. C., Lancaster, M., & Afful, S. A. (2010). Unintentional effects of in-class debate. Presented at the Teaching Pre-Conference of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV.
- Newman, L. C., & Strube, M. J. (2009). Interpersonal goals of narcissists. Presented at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology Tenth Annual Conference, Tampa, FL.
- Foushée, R. D., & Newman, L. C. (2007). Encouraging and assessing individual development: The senior capstone experience at a small liberal arts college. In R. D. Foushée, L. C. Newman, J. E. Roberts, K. Young, & J. S. McCartney, One size does not fit all: Comparing capstone experiences across university settings. Symposium presented at the 6th Annual Best Practices in Teaching of Psychology Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Pagan, J. L., Gleason, M., Newman, L., Turkheimer, E., & Oltmanns, T. F. (2005). Likeability and the narcissistic personality inventory. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Research in Psychopathology, Miami, FL.
- Association for Psychological Science (APS)
- Society for Teaching of Psychology, APA Division 2 (STP)
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP)
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Introduction to Psychology
- Developmental Psychology (Online and Traditional Formats)
- Social Psychology
- Personality Psychology
- Controversial Issues in Psychology
- Senior Research Seminar I and II
Department of Behavioral Sciences
6800 Wydown Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105
Phone: (314) 889-1440
Office: East 310B