Where am I?
Dr. Stephanie Afful
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Ph.D. Social Psychology, Saint Louis University
M.S.R. Research in Social Psychology, Saint Louis University
B. A. Psychology and Sociology, with minor in Global Studies, Drury University
Department of Behavioral Sciences
6800 Wydown Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105
Phone: (314) 719-3610
Office: East 312B
- Introduction to Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Research Methods
- Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
- Positive Psychology
Research Area/Scholarly Interests:
Dr. Afful's research interests include modern models of racism, measurement of contemporary racism, oppositional thinking, racial & gender identity, teaching of psychology, etiology of cocaine dependence, and gender differences within substance abuse and dependence.
- Cavazos-Rehg, P. A., Spitznagel, E. L, Schootman, M., Strickland, J. R., Afful, S. E., Cottler, L. B., & Bierut, L. J. (2009). Risky sexual behaviors and sexually transmitted diseases: A comparison study of cocaine dependent individuals in treatment versus a community-matched sample. AIDS Patient Care & STDs, 23(9), 727-734.
- Bierut, L. J., Strickland, J. R., Thompson, J. R., Afful, S. E., & Cottler, L. B. (2008). Drug use and dependence in cocaine dependent subjects and community based individuals and their siblings. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 95, 14-22.
- Harvey, R. D., & Afful, S. E. (2007). The psychology of affirmative action: A review of psychological perspective of affirmative action. PsycCritiques, 52(17).
- Harvey, R. D., & Afful, S. E. (under review). Racialization, racial identity, and health behaviors: A case for culturally sensitive health interventions. Journal of Black Psychology.
- Kusto, A. R., Afful, S. E., & Mattingly, B. A. (under review). The universal professor: Students' perceptions of and preferences for professors. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.
Recent Conference Presentations:
- Newman, L. C., Lancaster, M., & Afful, S. E. (January 2010). Unintentional effects of in-class debate. Presented at the Teaching Pre-Conference at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology Eleventh Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- Afful, S. E., & Harvey, R. D. (February 2009). Juxtaposing racial in-groups vs. out-groups: Do we need self control? Presented at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology Annual Conference, Tampa, FL.
- Afful, S. E., & Harvey, R. D. (May 2008). Polarization of social groups as a predictor of explicit racism. Presented at the Midwestern Psychological Association Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Afful, S. E., Kusto, A. R., & Mattingly, B. A. (May, 2007). Occupational schemas: How do students perceive professors across three disciplines? Presented at the Council of Teachers of Undergraduate Psychology (CTUP) at the 2007 Midwestern Psychological Association Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Association for Psychological Science (APS)
- Midwestern Psychological Association (MPA)
- Society for Teaching of Psychology, APA Division 2 (STP)
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP)
- Psi Chi