Where am I?
The advertising profession integrates art, commerce, culture and human behavior in a fast-paced, dynamic industry. Tackling major campaigns and projects using a range of new and traditional tools requires people who can think outside the box and make quick, well-informed decisions.
At Fontbonne, we take a multidisciplinary approach to our Bachelor of Art in Advertising degree, emphasizing graphic design, digital and new media, marketing and research, and copy writing, as well as social psychology.
Advertising Program Highlights
- New core courses in social and digital media
- New core portfolio course — prepares students for internships, jobs, interviews, and networking, showcasing a range of advertising experience traditionally and electronically
- Minor in graphic design, communication, professional writing or marketing
- Multidisciplinary academic approach
- Learn about creative and strategic aspects of advertising from industry professionals
- Supportive environment
- Internship opportunities in St. Louis and beyond
- Business Club — a student-led organization that brings industry professionals to campus, offers networking opportunities, and creates promotional materials for campus clients.
Recent Internships/In-Field Learning Experiences/Projects or Presentations
- During their senior seminar course, two students worked with the staff of Fontbonne’s student newspaper to completely redesign, rebrand and launch a new online student publication.
- Another senior seminar class conducted a successful food and fund drive campaign to benefit Operation Backpack, a local non-profit organization serving thousands of food-insecure children in the St. Louis Metro region, raising over $1,500 and 300 pounds of food.
- Advertising students developed the brand image and promotional materials for Camp F.R.E.S.H., a summer camp run by Fontbonne’s Family and Consumer Sciences Department. Students named the camp, designed the logo, and created several collateral materials including a fun, kid-oriented brochure.
- Students enrolled in a social media advertising course conducted semester-long Google AdWords campaigns for local small business clients while participating in Google’s annual student AdWords competition.
- Advertising students raised the Fontbonne University response rate on a national survey of student engagement by nearly 35 percent by creating and executing a creative campaign targeted to the Fontbonne audience.
- Students intern with a variety of organizations in and beyond St. Louis - in boutique and full-service advertising agencies, for nonprofit organizations such as the St. Louis Ballet, for publications like Alive magazine, and in the sponsorship, marketing and social media departments for the St. Louis Blues and St. Louis Cardinals.
Fontbonne University’s Advertising Graduate Successes
- Lisa Losito, ’12, is the Art and Media Director at Gateway Varsity Sports magazine.
- Lindsey Will, ’12, worked as a Special Events Intern for the St. Louis Cardinals and is now a Medical Sales Associate with Mead Johnson Nutrition.
- Andrew Cohen ’11 double majored in advertising and sociology, and is currently working on a Ph.D. at Yale University, studying the cultural sociology of advertising.
- Danielle Pipitone, ’11, is the Graphics and Development Assistant at the Central Institute for the Deaf.
Questions? Contact Admissions: (314) 889-1400 or 1-800-205-5862 | email@example.com