Where am I?
Professor of Education/Special Education
Instructor, Department of Fine Arts Music Courses
Faculty Sponsor, Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
- Ph.D. Musicology, Washington University, 1994
- M.A. Musicology, University of Kansas, 1972
- B.A. French and B. M. Music, Drury University, 1970, Summa Cum Laude, Valedictorian
Additional Graduate Study:
- St. Louis University – Curriculum and Instruction, French Language and Culture
- University of Missouri – Geography
- Maryville University – Classroom Management
- Webster University – Curriculum and Instruction
- University of Wisconsin – Whitewater - French Language and Culture (in France)
- Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville – American Music, Choral Music
Missouri Teacher Certification (Life):
- French 7-12
- Music K-12
Research Area/Scholarly Interest:
- Multiple Intelligences in classroom instruction, specifically the use of music in teaching social studies, science, and language arts in K-12 schools
- Professional Development School Partnerships, specifically meaningful field experiences in diverse settings
Fellowships and Awards:
- Certificate of Superior Achievement, Brentwood School District Board of Education
- Rockwood Partners in Education, classroom presentations
- "Educational Issues for Women and Girls" Marymount Institute Seminar Invitation
- "Scholar Award," National Opera Association
- Rockefeller Foundation Fellowship, research in France
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship, research in France
- Fontbonne Community Connections Grants (2) for Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), "Partnership for Excellence in Teacher Education (PETE)" for Fontbonne University NCATE preparation
- Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), “Goals 2000 Grant for Teacher Preparation” for Fontbonne University with Brentwood School District
- Lilly Foundation Multicultural Research Grant for a Fontbonne world music course
- Southwestern Bell Classroom Grants (2) for St. Louis Public Schools
- Failoni, Judith W. "The Multi-talented Mr. Erskine: Shaping Mass Culture Through Great Books and Fine Music" book review in Vitae Scholasticae, vol. 30, no. 2, 2013, pp. 90-92.
- Barkhurst, Scott, and Judith Failoni. "Teaching Language and Culture Beyond the Classroom Walls." Celebrating Diversity in the Foreign Language Classroom. Ed. A. Moeller. Illinois: National Textbook Co., 1998, 80-91.
- Gray, Margaret, and Judith Failoni. "Fontbonne College’s Dual Certification Program in Elementary Education and Cross-Categorical Special Education." Views and News. Association of Independent Liberal Arts Colleges for Teacher Education, Vol. 10, No. 1 (Fall 1997-1998) 2, 8.
- Failoni, Judith W. "Music as a Means to Enhance Cultural Awareness and Literacy in the Foreign Language Classroom." Pathways to Culture: Readings on Teaching Culture in the Foreign Language Class. Ed. P. Heusinkveld. Yarmouth. ME: Intercultural Press, 1997, 395-401.
- Reprinted from Mid-Atlantic Journal of Foreign Language Pedagogy. 1 (Spring 1993): 97-108.
- Failoni, Judith W. "Gender Bias…It’s Discrimination!" Education St. Louis. 5 (October 1994): 15.
- Failoni, Judith W. "Try Music!" Visions and Reality in Foreign Language Teaching. Ed. W. Hatfield, Illinois: National Textbook Co., 1993, 73-84.
- Failoni, Judith W. "A Musical Approach to Culture and Literacy: A Summary." Perspectives in Foreign Language Teaching. 5 (1992): 162-168.
- Failoni, Judith W. "Persée et Andromède: A Bold Beginning." Opera Journal 24 (March 1991): 3-18.
Invited Keynote Addresses:
- Jewish Community Association of St. Louis Featured speaker, "Benedictions to Broadway: Jewish Musical Traditions," 2008
- American Educational Research Association (AERA), San Francisco, CA "Developmental Approach for Research on Professional Development Schools" Featured workshop speaker, 2006
- Lutheran High School Teachers’ Conference, St. Louis, MO Featured speaker, "Method Hunting? Try Music!" 1997
- Missouri Professional Development Schools Conference, Jefferson City, MO Featured presentation: "Fontbonne College and Brentwood School District Partnership," 1997
- Alabama French Teachers Association, Tuscaloosa, AL Featured speaker, "Motivate with Music," 1995
- St. Clair County Teachers’ Institute, Belleville, Il Featured speaker "Music: A Cultural Approach to Literacy," 1992
- International Education Consortium Conference, St. Louis, MO Featured speaker, "Music as an Aid to Literacy," 1990
- National Opera Association, New York City, NY NOA Scholar Award presentation: "Persée et Andromède: A Bold Beginning," 1990
Conference Presentations (peer reviewed) since 2000:
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE)
- "The Role of Pre-Service Tutors/Mentors in the Professional Development Middle School" Chicago, 2000
- Association of Independent Liberal Arts Colleges for Teacher Education (AILACTE)
- "Clinical Experiences: Exciting Partnership Models" Atlanta, 2010
- "Pre-Service Teachers Help Build Communities in the Professional Development School" with Mary Ann Goldberg, Washington D. C., 2000
- College Music Society (CMS)
- "Communicating Culture Through Music – What’s a Jewish Music Course Doing in General Education?" Minneapolis, 2010
- "American Popular Music in Undergraduate Adult Evening Programs," Kansas City, 2000
- Council for Exceptional Children – The Teacher Education Division (TED)
- "Where’s Special Education? Finding a Place in the Professional Development School" St. Louis, with Margaret Gray, 2010
- Missouri Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (MACTE)
- "Pre-Service Tutors in the Professional Development School," Jefferson City, 2000
- National Association for Professional Development Schools (NPDS)
- "Collaboration in a K-12 Professional Development School Partnership," Las Vegas, with
- Cary Tuckey and Jill Weismantle, 2007
- National Council for Social Studies (NCS) with Ed Wright, Brentwood High School
- "Motivate with Music and Media,” St. Louis, 2013
- "The Hot 100+ Music in Your Social Studies Classroom," workshop, Seattle, 2012
- "The Hot 100+ Music in Your Social Studies Classroom," Denver, 2010
- "The Hot 100! Music for the Social Studies Classroom," Washington D. C., 2006
- American Association of Teachers of French
- American Educational Research Association, Professional Development School SIG
- American Musicological Society
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- College Music Society
- National Council for Social Studies
- Phi Kappa Phi
6800 Wydown Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105
Phone: (314) 889-4512
Office: East Building, 219