Where am I?
Rita Marie Schmitz, CSJ, Ph. D.
- PhD Family and Child Development, Ohio State University
- MS Home Economics Education, Southern Illinois University
- BA Home Economics, Fontbonne College
- Professor of Education, Fontbonne College (now University), 1996-to present.
- Chairperson, Department of Education/Special Education and Professor of Education, Fontbonne College, 1980-1995.
- Associate Professor of Home Economics-Early Childhood, Fontbonne College, 1974-80.
- Assistant Professor of Home Economics-Early Childhood, Fontbonne College, 1974-77.
- Graduate Assistant, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 1968-71.
- Instructor in Home Economics, Fontbonne College, 1968-71.
- Home Economics Teacher, Salpointe High School, Tucson, Arizona, 1967-68.
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
- Missouri Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Missouri
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- National Association of Multicultural Education
- Pi Lambda Theta
- Phi Kappa Phi
Professional and Community Involvement:
- Member of Board of Trustees, Avila University, Kansas City, MO., 2001-present.
- Member of Executive Committee, Avila University, 2008-present.
- Member of Academic Affairs Subcommittee, Avila University, 2001-present; Chair 2008-2011; co-chair 2012.
- Co-chair of Mission and Identity Committee, Avila University, 2012.
- Offered a Tai Chi Chih workshop to Fontbonne Students, 2012 and FCC, Feb. 2011 and Washington University students, January, 2011 and 2011.
- Member of Fontbonne Community Connections, 2010 – present; Activities Committee, 2011-present.
- Member of CSJ Support Group for Sarah Heger’s Final Vows, 2012.
- Member of Search Committee for Vice-President for Academic Affairs, 2010.
- Served as Lecturer and Eucharistic Minister at our Parish and at Fontbonne University. Volunteer at the Fox Theatre, 2001 -present.
- Member of Committee for Higher Learning Commission, 2008-2010.
- Participant in a Medaille On-Line Course, 2008-2009.
- Mentored ten members of the Fontbonne Community for CSJ Association, 2004-present.
- Volunteer at the Fox Theatre, 2001 -present.
- Member of CSJ Congregational Selections Committee, 2006-2007.
- Member of CSJ Heritage Committee, 2005-2008.
- Coordinator for Assessment of Specialized Valuing Courses, 2005, 2006, 2007.
- Member of Accreditation Steering Committee, SJI, 2001-2002.
- Member of Board of Directors, St. Joseph for the Deaf, 1998-2008.
- Member of Academic Affairs Subcommittee, St. Joseph Institute for the Deaf, September, 1997-2008.
- NCATE Coordinator, Fontbonne University, 1999-2010.
- Chair of Teacher Certification Committee, Fontbonne College, 1980-1995; 1998-1999.
- Member of Advisory Board for Lewis-Clark Summer Institute, 1989-2010.
- Presenter at National Association for Multicultural Education International Conference, October, 1998.
- Presenter at Regional Social Studies Conference, May 1998 and March, 2001.
- Presenter at SRATE Conference, November, 2007.
- Faculty Moderator of Pi Lambda Theta Honor Society Chapter at Fontbonne University, 1998-present.
- Recipient of Founder’s Award, October, 2010.
- Recognized for 40 years of Enlightened Service at Fontbonne University, February, 2010.
- Reflection published in Winter’s Wisdom/ Springtime of the Soul, December, 2010, 2011, and Spring, 2012.
- Reflection published in Tableaux, 2010 and 2013.
- Awarded Post-Tenure Review Status, 2009.
- Recipient of the Fontbonne University Alumni Association Service to the University Award, September, 2007.
- Submitted Emerson Grant for Culminating Project, Spring Semester, 2006.
- Recipient of Emerson Excellence in Teaching Award, November, 2005.
- Recipient of Joan Goostree Stevens Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2004-2005.
- Wrote NCATE Institutional Report, 2002 and 2008.
- Full-year Sabbatical granted for July, 1995-June, 1996.
- Fontbonne’s Education Department Awarded Five Exemplary Ratings by Missouri’s state Department of Education, 1992.
- Articles on Global Education and on Earth Issues published in CSJ Magazine, Fall, 1990 and Summer, 1998.
6800 Wydown Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105
Office: East Building, 225