Where am I?
Associate Professor and Director of Early Childhood
- University of Missouri, St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri Doctorate of Philosophy in Education (Ph.D.) Emphasis: Teaching and Learning - Early Childhood Dissertation Topic: Teacher Efficacy-The Impact of Field Based Experiences August 2004-May 2007, Graduated Summa Cum Laude
- National University, San Diego, California Masters of Education in Multicultural Education (M.Ed) Program emphasis: Linguistics, school reform, evaluation, and research. Thesis entitled: The Application of the Arts in an Integrated Curriculum August 2002-August 2004, Graduated Summa Cum Laude Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona Bachelor of Science in Psychology (BS) Major: Psychology, Minor: Sociology August 1996-May 2000, Graduated Cum Laude
- California Teacher Certificate (current)
- Professional Clear Multiple Subject Teaching Credential (PK-8)
- Credential to instruct English as Second Language (ESL) Learners
Research Area/ Scholarly Interest:
- Media influences on child development
- Use of technology in the preschool classroom
- Urban teaching
- Preservice teacher reflection and mentoring
Peer Reviewed or Refereed:
- Catapano, S. & Huisman, S. (2008). Early childhood education: Issues and development, Chapter 3: A search for cooperative learning groups in urban classrooms. Nova Science Publishers, 47-59.
- Catapano, S., Huisman, S., & Song, K. (2008) Are we there yet? Perspectives from partners in a community of practice. Learning Communities: International Journal of Learning in Social Contexts, 1, 2-19.
- Catapano, S. & Huisman, S. (2009). What do families read to their children: Another look at home literacy support. Fascicula Psihologie, XV, 9-28.
- Robb- Singer, N, Catapano, S. & Huisman, S. (2010). The University’s role in preparing teachers for hard-to-staff schools. Teaching Education, 21(2), 119-130.
- Catapano, S. & Huisman, S. (2010). Preparing teachers for urban schools: Evaluation of a community-based model. Penn GSE Perspectives on Urban Education, 7(1), 80-90.
- Huisman, S., Singer, N., & Catapano, S. (2010). Resiliency to success: Supporting novice urban teachers. Teacher Development: An international journal of teachers’ professional development, 14(4), 483-499.
- Huisman, S. & Catapano, S. (2011). New teachers in challenging schools: A three-year case study. International Journal of University Teaching and Faculty Development, 2 (1) 1-15.
- Huisman, S. & Edwards, A. (2011). Experiential learning: An exploration of situated and service learning. AILACTE Journal, 8(1), 15-35.
- Huisman, S., Edwards, A., & Catapano, S. (2012). The impact of technology on families. International Journal of Education and Psychology in the Community, 2(1), 44-62.
- Huisman, S. (2012). Teaching efficacy: The examination of two different instruments. International Journal of University Teaching and Faculty Development, 2(4), 263-278.
- Huisman, S. (2012). Family Connections: Promoting Early Literacy Skills: Ages Birth to 5, Childhood Education, 88(6,) 398-399.
- Huisman, S., Catapano, S., Moody, A, & Gates, L. (2013). Families’ perceptions on play in the early childhood setting. Journal of Psychological and Educational Research, 21(1), 28-48.
- Huisman, S. (2013). Family Connections: Every day math: Ages birth-5. Childhood Education, 89(4), 279-280.
- Catapano, S. & Huisman, S. (2013). Leadership in hard to staff schools: Novice teachers as mentors. Mentoring and Tutoring, 21(3), 258-271.
*15 most recent presentations (peer-reviewed)
- NAEYC Annual Conference- Preservice Teacher Reflection, Washington, DC (November, 2013)
- Crucial Early Years- Redefining “Circle” Time, St. Louis, MO (October, 2013)
- RB-AEYC Spring Conference- Developmentally Appropriate Curriculum in the Preschool Classroom, St. Charles, MO (April, 2013)
- Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy- Experiential Learning: An exploration of situated and service learning, Blacksburg, VA (February, 2013)
- NAEYC Annual Conference- Preparing New Teacher Mentors, Atlanta, GA (November, 2012)
- Crucial Early Years- Integrating Curriculum in the Preschool Classroom, St. Louis, MO (October 2012)
- AEYC-MO Conference- Assessing the Center for Overall Care, Springfield, MO (September, 2012)
- AAFCS Annual Conference- Advocacy and Action-Empowering Future FCS Leaders, Indianapolis, IN (June 2012)
- NAEYC Institute- Future Early Childhood Teachers: Empowering with Advocacy Indianapolis, IN (June 2012)
- RB-AEYC Spring Curriculum Conference: - Integrating Curriculum in the Preschool Classroom, St. Charles, MO (April 2012)
- RB-AEYC Stepping Up to Leadership: -Assessing the Center for Overall Care, St. Charles, MO (April 2012)
- National Association of the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Annual Conference, NAECTE Urban Education Researchnet Group: Parents’ Perceptions on Play: The Data, Orlando, FL (November 2011)
- Parents as Teachers National Conference- Children in A Modern World, St. Louis, MO (November 2011)
- RB-AEYC Spring Curriculum Conference: - Balanced Literacy Approach in the Pre-School Classroom, St. Charles, MO (April 2011)
- AEYC Directors Institute, The Importance of Advocacy in the Early Childhood Field, St. Charles, MO (April 2011)
- National Association of the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Missouri Association of the Education of Young Children (MO-AEYC)
- River Bends Association of the Education of Young Children (RB-AEYC)
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
6800 Wydown Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105
Phone: (314) 889-4531
Office: East Building, 256