Where am I?
Janine Duncan, Ph.D., CFCS
Associate Professor, Family and Consumer Sciences
Director, FCS education, Family Policy & Advocacy, and FCS Graduate Programs
- B.S. Vocational Home Economics Education, University of Illinois
- Ph.D. Education Leadership and Policy Studies, University of Missouri—St. Louis
- Kappa Omicron Nu (KON) Pathways to Leadership (2006-08)
- Coro Women in Leadership Fellos Program (2015) Class # 63
Research Area/ Scholarly Interest:
- Foundations of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education
- Public Policy and Advocacy in Family and Consumer Sciences
- Duncan, J.M. (2011). Defining rigor in family and consumer sciences. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences Education, 29(1), pp.1-12. Can be retrieved from http://www.natefacs.org/JFCSE/v29no1/v29no1Duncan.pdf
- Duncan, J. M. (2011). Rooted in mission: Family and consumer sciences in Catholic universities. Catholic Education: A Journal of Inquiry and Practice, 14(4), pp. 391-412. Can be retrieved from http://ejournals.bc.edu/ojs/index.php/catholic/article/view/1675
- Focus on Families to Improve Sustainable Development and Eradicate Poverty by Providing Basic Conditions and Empowerment, at the 65th Annual UN Department of Public Information (DPI)/NGO Conference, New York, NY, USA August 2014. Co-presented with Janice Maison (Guyana); June Matthews, PhD (Canada); Valencia Browning-Keen, PhD, RD (United States); and Daniel Baldwin (Australia)--representing the International Federation for Home Economics (IFHE).
- Addressing ACEND Standards: Preparing Dietetics Professionals for Policy and Advocacy Work, at the 2014 International Critical Dietetics Conference, Chicago, IL, USA August 2014
- Preparing FCS Professionals for Policy and Advocacy Work: Exploring Undergraduate Student Reflections on Serving a World in Need, at the 2014 International Federation for Home Economics Council Meeting, London, Ontario, July 2014
- Sustaining FCS Programs in Higher Education: Re-Visioning FCS through a Policy Lens at Fontbonne University, at the 2014 AAFCS Conference, St. Louis, June 2014. Co-presented with Cheryl Houston, PhD, RD, LD, CFCS & Suzanne Swope, PhD.
- Work, Family Wellbeing, Community and Culture, at the Obligations of Justice and Love: A Symposium Examining Inequality and Solidarity, Fontbonne University, March 2014
- Looking Back, Moving Forward: Exposing the AAFCS Legacy to Develop Future Leaders, at the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, Indianapolis, IN, June 2012. Co-presented with Carol Pariani, Patricia Schodrowski, and Deborah Williams.
- Pilates for Professionals: Strengthening Our Core Using the FCS Body of Knowledge Model, at the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, Indianapolis, IN June 2012 [research completed by Monica Dickens, M.A.].
- Beyond the Standards: Modeling Critical Curricula Through FCS, at the 7th Annual Educating for Change Curriculum Fair: Creating Spaces for Social Justice in an Era of Standardized Testing, St. Louis, MO, October 8, 2011
- Reaching Beyond “Context”: Preparing FCS Professionals for a Multilingual Society, at the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, Phoenix, AZ, June 2011. Co-presented with Daniel Duncan
- Defining Rigor in Family & Consumer Sciences, at Missouri Association for Career and Technical Education/MOEFCS Summer Pre-Conference, Springfield, MO, July 26, 2010.
- Leadership Strategies for the Next Generation: Fostering Capacity of FCS Undergraduates, at the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, Cleveland, OH, June 24, 2010. Co-presented with Cheryl Houston, Ph.D., R.D., L.D.
- American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- International Federation for Home Economics
- National Council on Family Relations
- Association of Career & Technical Education
- American Association of University Professors
- Missouri Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
Family and Consumer Sciences
6800 Wydown Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105
Office: 123 Anheuser Busch Hall