Where am I?
At Fontbonne University, we’re just as passionate about art as you are. Our art degree provides a solid foundation in all aspects of fine arts. We will help you explore, discover and achieve your creative potential.
We offer a variety of options for those who want to teach, create or simply better understand art. Our bachelor of arts and bachelor of fine arts degrees help students master the fundamentals of visual communication and various media tools. Historical and contemporary aesthetic ideas, both Western and non-Western, are explored in studio classes and art history. Our faculty teaches in the academy-style, which is a studio-based system of instruction that emphasizes working from direct observation and offers the technical foundations of an artist’s training.
With a focus on the humanist tradition, we present the broad range of figurative studies, guiding you in the search for technical form and personal discovery within your artistic discipline. You’ll begin what we call our “freshman foundation” by taking art classes immediately.
The bachelor of arts program is for students who want to gain an appreciation of basic design, drawing and art history as well as a strong foundation in the liberal arts.
Our fine arts program is aimed at those who want to pursue a life as a working artist. You can choose a concentration in ceramics, drawing, graphic design, painting or sculpture, or a studio concentration combining two compatible disciplines. Final acceptance to the fine arts program is granted in the junior year when students are reviewed by faculty.
- The opportunities at this university are endless.
- You’ll learn and work in our newly renovated Fine Arts Building, which houses the art gallery, theatre and studios.
- In addition to learning from the professional artists who are your teachers, you’ll have the opportunity to work closely with graduate students, who serve as mentors.
- And our arts and fine arts majors have choices. Students in either program can earn their Missouri public school teacher certification (K-12) by taking the sequence of courses required by the education department. And, a 15-hour concentration in graphic design is available in both majors.
- We’ll help you get real-world skills through internships. Our students have interned at Fleishman-Hillard, Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Shakespeare Festival of St. Louis and Stages, a local theatre company, gaining experience in professional settings.
What can I do with my art degree?
- You can pursue dozens of occupations within the art world. Painter, art director, sculptor, graphic designer, photographer, jewelry maker, coordinator, consultant and editor are just some of the jobs available.
- We have recent graduates working at marketing firms and teaching at the University of Alabama-Mobile, Saint Louis University and within the St. Louis and St. Charles community college systems, the Parkway School District and in the St. Louis Public Schools.
- Our students are also well prepared for graduate school. Fontbonne offers a master’s degree in both art and fine arts.
How can I find out more?
For further information about studying fine arts at Fontbonne, contact our office of admission at 314-889-1400 or 1-800-205-5862, or via email at email@example.com. You may also apply for admission online.