Where am I?
Nancy English, Ph.D.
- B.S. Mathematics, University of Oklahoma
- M.A. Mathematics Education, University of Missouri – Columbia
- Ph.D. Curriculum and Instruction, St. Louis University
- Junior High mathematics Teacher, Parkway School District (1968 – 1970, 1971 – 1973)
- High School Mathematics Teacher, Parkway West High School (1973 – 2001)
- Adjunct Professor, Fontbonne University and Webster University (2001 – 2004)
- Assistant Professor, Fontbonne University (2004 – 2009)
- Associate Professor, Fontbonne University (2009 – Present)
- Parkway’s Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 1987
- Pillar of Parkway, 1991
- MEGSL High School Teacher of the Year, 1999
- MCTM Teacher of the Year, 2000
- MEGSL College Teacher of the Year, 2009
- Fontbonne’s Excellence in Teaching Award, 2013
Research Area/ Scholarly Interest:
- Applications of Technology in Education
- St. Louis Arch
- Who’s that Pretty Girl in that Mirror There? What, with all Probability, You never Knew about Maria Agnesi. Published in the St. Louis Confluence, a journal of MEGSL (2008) (This article was a study of a curve made famous by Maria Agnesi (the Witch of Agnesi) and its application as a probability distribution.)
- Mandelbrot and Julia Sets Meet the Graphing Calculator. Published in the St. Louis Confluence, a journal of MEGSL (2007) (This article provided a careful explanation of the generation of these fractals and how this understanding could lead to graphing them on a graphing calculator.)
- Presenter at many local, state and regional conferences sponsored by MEGSL, MCTM, DESE and NCTM. Topics have included technology in the classroom, data analysis, implementation of the Standards, the New Madrid earthquakes, the Search for Longitude, and the St. Louis Arch, 2000 – 2009.
- Utilizing Global Data Gathered from the United Nations Website to Enhance a Statistics Class, with Beth Newton, MEGSL/T3 Regional Conference, in St. Louis MO, November 2008.
- Conductor of two-day workshop for St. Louis high school teachers regarding the Use of Geometer’s Sketchpad in the Classroom (July, 2009).
- NCTM National Convention presenter concerning the St. Louis Arch (Chicago, 2000, St. Louis 2006), and an NCTM Regional Conference presenter concerning the St. Louis Arch (St. Louis 2010).
- MCTM Conference presenter (2009 – 2013) on various topics regarding utilizing technology in the classroom (Apps for the iPad, Web 2.0 Tools, Utilizing Excel, etc.).
- NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics)
- MCTM (Missouri Council of Teachers of Mathematics)
- MEGSL (Mathematics Educators of Greater St. Louis)
- MAA (Mathematics Association of America)
- (MAT)2 (Missouri Association for Teacher Educators)
- AMTE (Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators)
- COMAP (Consortium for Mathematics and its Applications)
- NEA (National Education Association)
- SLRMS (St. Louis Regional Mathematics Supervisors).
- Secretary of MCTM, 2000 – Present
- Awards and Scholarship Chair for MEGSL (2002 – Present)
- Proofreader for National MathCounts Contest (1995 – Present)
Math and Computer Science Department
6800 Wydown Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105
Email address: email@example.com
Office: Ryan Hall 403C