Where am I?
Social Work Minor
Social Work minors must have approval of the Social Work Department Chair or Field Education Director before selecting the minor.
Non-social work majors must follow social work ethical standards, program policy and professional practices while participating in social work courses.
Total semester hours required for a social work minor is 18.
Minor in Social Work
- SWK 100 Introduction to Social Work (3 credit hours)
- SWK 110 Human Behavior in the Social Environment (3 credit hours)
- SWK 300 Social Issues and Social Welfare Policy (3 credit hours)
Three additional social work courses (9 credit hours total):
- One at 250 level or above
- Two at 300 level or above
- Excluding SWK 250, SWK 400, SWK 450, SWK 451, SWK 455
The state of Missouri prohibits the use of the title “social work” by any person other than an individual who has been professionally educated in an accredited social work program (HB332, 2003). Further state legislation in 2004 allowed the licensing of bachelor-level-social workers. Enrollment in social work courses by non-social work majors or social work minors does not grant the use of the title social worker or professional privilege to practice social work. Please feel free to contact the Department Chair or Administrative Assistant if you have any questions.