Where am I?
Social Work Program
The Fontbonne social work program is newly accredited by the Council for Social Work Education and utilizes the most current knowledge, values and skills in social work education and professional practice.
Major: Social Work
Alnita talks about Fontbonne's program and how the coursework helped guide her career path.
The program’s generalist practice emphasis prepares students to become ethical professionals with the knowledge and skills to support social and economic justice as they serve and strengthen individuals, families and communities. The social work program combines classroom experiences, designed to lay the foundation for a lifetime of knowledge, with field work, opportunities for student to apply that knowledge in a real world environment.
- Unique coursework grounded in Fontbonne’s Catholic heritage and the benefit of spirituality and religion in practice
- A campus-wide focus on "serving the dear neighbor without distinction"
- New program developed with the latest methods, theory and information
- Combination of classroom and field education
- Three categories of coursework: introductory, core and professional practice
- Faculty are social workers and practicing professionals
- Preparation for LBSW or LBSW-IP exams or for graduate school with advanced standing
- Accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
- Student selected field placements through more than 450 field placement agencies
- Receive advance standing in your chosen Master's of Social Work program – this can reduce the time needed to graduate!
- Agreement with St. Louis University Bridge program helps accelerate completion of your Master’s in Social Work
- Evening/Online graduate program in Nonprofit Management offered at Fontbonne
- 2+2 Partnership Program with Jefferson College
- American Red Cross
- Children's Crisis Nursery
- Crime Victims Advocacy Center
- Domestic Violence Outreach
- Doorways Interfaith Residence
- Family Resource Center
- Grace’s Place Crisis Nursery
- Great Circle: VIDEO! Hear about Catherine's experience.
- Missouri Divisions of Family and Children Services
- NASW Missouri Chapter
- St. Louis ARC
- St. Louis Circuit Attorney Office Victims Services
- St. Louis City Family Courts
- St. Patrick Center
- YWCA St Louis Regional Sexual Assault
- Fall Semester trip to Washington D.C: Legislative Advocacy Federal Government
- Spring Semester trip to Jefferson City MO: Legislative Advocacy State Government
Fontbonne University’s Social Work Graduate Successes
- Samantha Gildehaus and Destiny Poertner BSW 2015 creating a volunteer and fundraising program for Children’s Crisis Nursery.
- Alnita Smiley BSW 2014 Employed as Sexual Assault Crisis Counselor with YWCA, attending SLU MSW Program, featured on KPLR for work with YWCA
- Carolyn Compton BSW 2014 Employed as Neighborhood Advocate for Central West End Neighborhood Security Iniative, Attending SLU MSW program
- Rene LaFerla BSW 2013 Advocate for St. Louis Anti-Heroin Group
- Abby Harr BSW 2012 Field Outreach Director for Kingdom House Senior Services
- Candance Hurd HUS 2012 started her own agency, Visual Rhythm Interpretive Services
Questions? Contact Admissions: (314) 889-1400 or 1-800-205-5862 | firstname.lastname@example.org