Where am I?
The Master of Arts degree in Teaching provides you with an efficient and effective means to achieve initial
teacher certification along with an advanced degree. Participants must successfully complete 32–36 semester hours
of graduate credit, depending upon the certification area desired. Two core courses totaling 6 hours are required of all MAT candidates:
• EDU 541 Frameworks for Learning (3 hours)
• EDU 542 The Teacher as Leader (3 hours)
Additional undergraduate courses may be required which meet certification requirements and act as prerequisites for graduate education coursework. MAT concentrations are based upon areas of certification sought and are as follows:
• Art (K–12)
• Biology (9–12)
• Elementary (1–6)
• English (9–12)
• Mathematics (9–12)
• Middle School (5–9)
• Social Studies (9–12)
• Special Education (K–12)
Family and Consumer Sciences (B-12): The MAT in Family and Consumer Sciences is available through the Department of Human Environmental Sciences.
Performing Arts: The Master of Arts degree in Theatre Education provides a pathway to teacher certification in
theatre (9–12). Information for this degree is available through the Department of Fine Arts.
How to apply
To begin your Fontbonne education, please submit:
- A completed Teaching (MAT) Graduate Application (197K pdf)
- A non-refundable $25 application fee
- Official transcripts from every college and university you have attended (If you are currently attending college,
- include your most recently completed semester grades).
- Three letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a supervisor or recent academic advisor.
- A self-statement essay providing information about yourself, your goals and your reasons for wishing to
- attend Fontbonne’s graduate program in education.
Send your application to:
Attn: Program Director, MA in Teaching
Department of Education
6800 Wydown Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63105