Where am I?
Now that you have received your Form I-20 from Fontbonne University you will need to apply for the U.S. F-1 student visa. Please review carefully the following information to learn more about the visa application and interview process.
- For the most updated information please visit the United States student visa website.
- Students transferring from another institution in the United States, click here.
Checklist for Visa Appointment:
- Review Form I-20 for accuracy
- Review acceptance letter for accuracy
- Pay I-901 fee (save your receipt)
- Complete DS-160 Form
- Set visa appointment
For The Visa Interview, Take:
- Above items
- Valid passport
- One (1) 2X2 photograph
- MRV application fee receipt
- I-901 receipt
- Financial evidence
- English test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.)
- Transcripts and diplomas
When To Apply
- Apply early. Embassies and Consulates are able to issue the student visa 120 days or less in advance of the start date listed on the Form I-20.
- Students may enter the U.S. 30 days or less in advance of the course of study start date listed on the Form I-20.
How To Schedule A Visa Interview
To schedule a student visa appointment you will need to contact your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for specific information. Learn more here.
Qualifying For A Student Visa
The Immigration and National Act is very specific with regard to the requirements which must be met by applicants to qualify for the student visa. The consular officer will determine whether you qualify for the visa. Additionally, applicants must demonstrate that they properly meet student visa requirements including:
- Have a residence abroad, with no immediate intention of abandoning that residence;
- Intend to depart from the United States upon completion of the course of study; and
- Possess sufficient funds to pursue the proposed course of study.
Government Website Resources
- U.S. Student Visa Information Page
- Locate your U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) homepage
- USCIS Field Offices
- InfoPass (to make an appointment with a U.S. Immigration Information Officer)
- United States Visa Information Source
- Visa Waiver Program (VWP)
- Visa Wait Times
- Visa Application Forms
- Visa Glossary
Translate this page
Share the knowledge!