Where am I?
City Summer Project 2013
A Fresh Look at St. Louis City Culture
June 10 – 14, 2013
What is The City Summer Project by Fontbonne University?
While St. Louis and its surrounding areas may be home to you, we’re assuming you’ve never
seen it through the eyes of a sociologist, two writers and a fashion merchandising professor.
The City Summer Project will expose you to people, history and stories that you may not find familiar. Following these explorations, we hope - through discussion, writing, photography and imagination - you will take away new pictures of the city and new lenses through which to view it.
Join us at Fontbonne University in a week-long summer adventure with fellow high school students and several of our outstanding faculty. We will take field trips to explore the Pruitt-Igoe Project, Washington Avenue Garment District and Bosnia Memory Project.
- Pruitt-Igoe Project … A large public housing project from the 1950s that was eventually torn down and became a flashpoint for discussion on public policy.
- Washington Avenue Garment District … Second only to New York as an American center for fashion design and manufacturing from the late 19th century to the end of World War II.
- Bosnia Memory Project … Dedicated to establishing an enduring record of Bosnian genocide survivors, especially those living in metropolitan St. Louis.
You will have an opportunity to chronicle your experiences through photo essays and journals, culminating in a reflective publication about your experience. The faculty who will join you during the week have expertise in multiple academic disciplines, so you will have an opportunity to view each experience through many perspectives.
Who is invited?
Select juniors and seniors in high school will join us June 10-14. THREE COLLEGE CREDITS will be available for qualified students!
- Cost is $600 per student.
- Monday, June 10 - Friday, June 14
- 9 a.m.– 4 p.m. each day
- RSVP by May 24, 2013
- Continental breakfast
- Reflective writing and photo workshops
- Activities on campus
- Lunch and snacks
- Field trips
NOTE: Fontbonne is also sponsoring the Summer Leadership Institute June 17 - 28, where students will learn about their own diverse leadership abilities and style, group development, conflict management, effective communication, project management and more. Cost for Summer Leadership Institute is $500 (and you get three college credits), but if paired with the Leadership Institute, total cost for both is $990. Learn more at www.fontbonne.edu/summerleaders.
Questions? 800-205-5862 | email | Fontbonne University | 6800 Wydown Blvd, St. Louis, MO, 63105.