Where am I?

Transfer Credits

We give transfer credit for courses that are considered college-level work from an accredited, degree-granting institution of higher learning. Remedial courses — generally those numbered below 100, such as Math 013, do not usually qualify as credit. Transferable courses that meet the general education requirement must have a grade of D or better. However, D grades are not accepted in the required major.

A cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) is required for admission to Fontbonne.
If you are coming from a community college or other two-year institution, you may transfer a maximum of 64 credit hours to Fontbonne. We do not have a limit on the number of transferable credits for students coming from four-year institutions. Your intended major's department determines the number of hours that will be accepted for transfer. You also must complete a minimum of 32 credit hours, including all of the last 12 hours for your degree, at Fontbonne.

When you apply to Fontbonne, we will offer you an estimate of the credits you could transfer and how they will apply to your program here. Once you are accepted, you will receive a tentative evaluation of transfer credit. This document will show the total number of hours being transferred and will indicate which transfer credits apply toward our general education requirement and which apply toward the major.

We Value Your Experience

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) serves to validate the level of professional experience and competence that you’ve already achieved in the workforce. PLA credit may be earned as a result of professional or military training and experience. A maximum of 48 credit hours will be accepted in PLA credit. Students may not count this credit toward the 32-hour residency requirement at Fontbonne or the 44-hour Evening/Online core requirement. Fees charged for PLA credit are subject to change.

The standards and criteria established by Fontbonne for assessing college-level learning were developed in conformance with guidelines set forth by the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL).

Experience Credit

College credit can be awarded for military courses and enlisted ranks/military specialties or professional training courses sponsored by business, industry and government.

Portfolio Evaluation

If you think you’ve already acquired the competencies of college courses, you may petition for credit through a portfolio evaluation.
You may request a maximum of 32 credit hours through the portfolio process.


Transfer applicants should send an official transcript from any college or university attended to Admissions.

A high school transcript is required if you have less than 30 hours. ACT/SAT scores are required for education majors and any major leading to certification. Please include a self-statement outlining academic and extracurricular achievements, or to explain any flaws in your academic record.

Want to learn more about Fontbonne and begin transferring your credits? Email us at fbyou@fontbonne.edu, call 314-889-1400 or fill out our inquiry form and one of our representatives will be in touch with you!