Job Seekers!Announce your availability and submit your resume to hundreds of Employers that visit this site. Employers can contact you directly as soon as a suitable position becomes available. Post your Resume to Fontbonne University Career Opportunities!
Go back to the Job List
Direct Support Professional Residential ServicesPosted by: St. Louis Arc
Posted date: 2013-Jan-11
Location: Greater St. Louis Metro Area
Direct Support Professional I-Residential Services
Comprehensive ServicesJob Purpose: The Direct Support Professional I: is responsible for providing quality services per Council Outcome measures (ensuring health and safety, enabling people to make decisions, assisting people to understand and exercise their rights, etc.) directly to individuals with developmental disabilities to help them achieve their goals.
Agency Expectations of Employee:
Adheres to Agency policies and procedures; acts as a role model within and outside the Agency; demonstrates good judgment, discretion, and confidentiality; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly and professionally with all individuals; demonstrates flexibility and efficient time management skills and ability to prioritize workload; consistently and regularly reports to work on time prepared to perform duties. This position requires flexibility in staffing. Hours will be scheduled for staff as determined by the needs of the individuals who are supported.
• Responsible for ensuring health objectives for individuals including following doctor’s orders and dispensing medication
• Responsible for maintaining a clean environment
• Support people to complete necessary grooming/hygiene including, but not limited to, assisting in restroom, with meals, and with dressing
• Ensure people’s rights are respected
• Know the goals, interests, and needs for assistance of the individuals you support
• Transport individuals as needed to appointments, leisure activities, etc.
• Follow written plans (including positive behavior plans) to systematically teach people new skills and document progress according to the schedule identified in the plan or by the supervisor
• Identify and look for solutions to potential barriers to individuals’ success
• Provide feedback to the team about community events and other issues/concerns
• Complete all documentation required according to Agency timelines, including community events reports, medication administration records, daily notes, etc.
• Actively participate in person centered plans, mandatory training, and in team meetings
• Support individuals to access community services
• Complete all Agency Core Trainings
• Other duties as assigned
Physical Requirements: This position requires seeing, hearing, standing, walking, bending, the use of stairs, lifting, carrying supplies, communicating both verbally and in written form, the ability to make sound and immediate decisions in order to ensure the safety of the people we support. Regular attendance is mandatory. Must be physically able to provide necessary first aid/emergency medical treatment, provide physical support to individuals such as lifting, assisting with personal needs, etc., and to physically evacuate consumers from living arrangements in case of fire/natural disaster. Must be able to use own transportation and transport individuals in their community. Must be able to use computer software to complete essential functions listed above.
Experience and Education Qualifications:� High school diploma/GED required. One year experience in a human service field preferred. Some college coursework in human services is preferred. Ability to achieve CPR/First Aid/Medication Certification and Missouri Class E driver’s license (or comparable out-of-state license) required.