Job Seekers!Announce your availability and submit your resume to hundreds of Employers that visit this site. Employers can contact you directly as soon as a suitable position becomes available. Post your Resume to Fontbonne University Career Opportunities!
Go back to the Job List
LABOR & EMPLOYMENT LEGAL SECRETARYPosted by: Thompson Coburn LLP
Posted date: 2013-Mar-22
Location: St. Louis City, MO
Thompson Coburn LLP has a non-exempt position available in our St. Louis office for a full time Legal Secretary in our Labor & Employment practice area. Qualified applicants will have at least 2 years of legal secretarial experience. Preferred candidates will have prior legal secretarial experience in litigation. The person selected for this position must be able to work closely with a diverse group of people in a fast-paced environment.
· Operates a computer, typewriter; and transcribes digital dictation.
· Types and/or drafts correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents.
· Screens telephone calls and records messages.
· Reads, sorts and dates incoming mail and faxes. Ensures that outgoing mail and faxes are delivered in a timely manner. If necessary, routes mail to specific delivery service and follows up on timely delivery.
· Establishes and maintains calendar and deadline reminder systems; utilizes master calendar system.
· Opens new files, requests conflict of interest checks with appropriate department and maintains all client and general files. Conducts periodic review for possible storage of older files; prepares files to be closed.
· Receives clients and visitors; maintains good public relations with clients; observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
· Schedules appointments for timekeepers.
· Processes bills; proofs billing statements; reviews and edits bills.
· Works closely with administrative support staff (word processing, receptionists, business office, etc.); proofs documents returned from word processing; insures that attorney timesheets are entered and released on a timely manner.
· Performs overload typing, filing, photocopying or other secretarial duties as time permits and as requested by the floor team lead or other attorneys. Also assist other secretaries with their workload as needed.
This position has the following requirements:
· Must be able to type a minimum of 70 wpm.
· Must possess a high level of professionalism and interpersonal skills so as to be able to work well with employees at all levels within the organization and maintain all information in the strictest of confidence. Required to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with others.
· Must have ability to read, write and communicate fluent English; ability to compose documents in the appropriate business style using correct grammar and spelling; ability to communicate clearly using proper grammar and diction over the telephone; ability to proofread typed material for grammatical, typographical or spelling errors; ability to perform non-complex arithmetic calculations.
· Must possess attention to detail, ability to balance multiple projects and have strong time management skills.
· Must have ability to reason and apply common-sense understanding to situations encountered.
· Ability to process routine daily functions while being able to resolve sensitive issues and complex assignments utilizing above average critical thinking skills.
· Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft, dictation or transcription.
· The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee in order for him or her to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to:
· remain in both a stationary position and be mobile throughout the workday;
· be able to move about inside the office to access various items;
· must be able to elevate and transport items up to 25 pounds; constantly operate office machinery including but not limited to computers, computer mouse, hand held devices, and copy machines
· Ability to work overtime as needed.
Thompson Coburn LLP is a large full service, multi-state firm with offices in Chicago, St. Louis, Southern Illinois and Washington D.C. At Thompson Coburn, our behavior and the expectations we have of ourselves are guided by the values that we hold in the highest regard: integrity, a passion for excellence, a focus on serving the client, a value of diversity, innovation, creativity, trust and loyalty. Within the Firm, we value each other as people and colleagues. In addition to the exceptional working environment and a competitive salary, Thompson Coburn provides the following benefit options to qualifying employees:
· Medical and Vision Insurance through United Healthcare
· Dental Insurance
· Life Insurance & ADD policies
· Short & Long Term Disability Insurance
· Paid Parental Leave
· Firm paid 401(k) & Profit Sharing plans
· Parking/Transportation Stipend
· Section 125 Plan (Pre-tax premiums, dependent care and medical reimbursement)
· Paid Holidays
· Paid Time Off (PTO)
· Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
· Employee Wellness Program
· Tuition Reimbursement
· College Savings Plan Deductions (529 Plans)
· Long Term Care
Candidates interested in applying to Thompson Coburn LLP are required to complete our application, which can be found by visiting the site below.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V