Posted by: ALIVE Magazine
Posted date: 2013-Apr-02
Location: St. Louis City, MO
ALIVE Magazine Editorial Internship: Interns at ALIVE gain valuable experience in the industry through opportunities to work directly with department heads on a number of editorial projects. We invest our energy in hardworking, talented individuals looking for growth and possibly a future career. Both current students and recent college grads have participated in our internship program to gain unmatched experience in the editorial field. Note: This is an unpaid internship. Apply online at alivemag.com/careers.
Editorial Intern Responsibilities:
- Support editors throughout the editorial process, including research, story development, fact checking and writing.
- Contribute to web content management through content uploads, online guide management, multi-media creation (video, podcasts, etc.) and social media updates.
- Act as members of ALIVE’s Street Team, conducting live interviews and behind-the-scenes coverage at key events.
- Regularly contribute to ALIVE’s new blog, ALIVE Around Town, by collecting content, drafting posts and scouting images.
- Potential for editorial, special section and website writing, once abilities are proven.
- Assist editorial and other departments with special projects related to fashion, editorial, marketing, web or events, depending on interests.
- Assist with ALIVE events, including occasional evening and weekend commitments.
- Be an effective communicator and writer, preferably with some experience; majors in communications and/or journalism preferred.
- Have a keen eye for detail and be well-organized.
- Have excellent time-management skills and the ability to handle multiple projects at a time.
- Possess a positive, team-player attitude and take pride in each assigned task.
- Maintain a professional, upbeat demeanor when appearing on ALIVE’s behalf or interacting with colleagues and clients.
- Ability to think independently and problem solve effectively.
- Be flexible and willing to fill in on short notice.
- Be adept in basic office programs, especially Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must be willing to commit to full internship period. Internship periods align with typical school semesters, whether intern is student or graduate.
- Must be available for in-office hours—16 hours/week at minimum.
- All scheduled shifts must be made up. If you can’t make a scheduled shift, you must notify your supervisor and schedule make-up time at least one week before your absence. If there is a last-minute emergency, call—don’t email.
- A two-week notice period is required before final day of internship.
Skills Acquired Upon Internship Completion:
- Honed written and oral communication skills.
- Improved reporting, researching and interviewing abilities.
- Experience in social media, blogging and multimedia, including video.
- An awareness of the many facets of how a media company operates.
- Improved professional demeanor with colleagues and clients.
- A developed professional portfolio of work.