Job Seekers!Announce your availability and submit your resume to hundreds of Employers that visit this site. Employers can contact you directly as soon as a suitable position becomes available. Post your Resume to Fontbonne University Career Opportunities!
Go back to the Job List
Environmental History Collection InternPosted by: Missouri History Museum
Posted date: 2013-Jul-19
Location: Greater St. Louis Metro Area
Environmental History Collection Intern
Missouri History Museum
St. Louis, MO
The Missouri History Museum is accepting applications from students who are interested in an unpaid internship with our exhibitions and research division. The intern will assist in cataloging and research of specified artifact collection holdings related to land use and planning; mineral resource extraction and processing; agriculture; transportation; and environmental/resource conservation.
The intern’s responsibilities may include:
· Identifying library, photography, and document archive holdings related to specific collection artifacts, summarizing with source, and finding aid citations in report form
· Researching manufacturer, industry, and/or usage information of specified artifacts, summarizing with source and finding aid citations in report form
· Providing researched characterizations of discrete aspects of regional resource exploitation or conservation
· Measuring, describing, and entering artifact identifying information into the collections database management system
· Marking and tagging artifacts with accession tracking numbers
· Constructing archival storage housings for artifacts
· Assisting with artifact photography, document scanning, and/or interview transcription
The schedule is flexible, with work hours typically between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and will be determined with the supervisor. A minimum of ten hours of work per week is advisable.
Graduate student candidates are preferred, and undergraduate students in good academic standing with a passion for and competency in the subject will be considered. A GPA of 3.5 or better is desired, as is a major in Environmental Studies, Museum Studies, History, or similar fields. The applicant should have good communication, computer, and research skills, and sensitivity to and care for delicate artifacts.
The Missouri History Museum is a nonprofit organization dedicated to deepening the understanding of past choices, present circumstances and future possibilities; strengthening the bond of community and facilitating solutions to common problems.
To apply, the applicant must provide a resume and a short statement of the candidate’s interest and/or intent in applying for the internship. If chosen for an interview, candidate will be asked to supply two references. Completed applications should be sent by e-mail to:
David Lobbig c/o Vicki Kaffenberger: vakmohistory.org