Job Seekers!Announce your availability and submit your resume to hundreds of Employers that visit this site. Employers can contact you directly as soon as a suitable position becomes available. Post your Resume to Fontbonne University Career Opportunities!
Go back to the Job List
Sign Language InterpreterPosted by: Wentzville School District
Posted date: 2013-Nov-01
Location: Greater St. Louis Metro Area
Position Title: Sign Language Interpreter
Reports To: Assistant Superintendent of Special Services
Sign interpret, oral interpret, or transliterate in special education and/or regular classrooms at a normal conversational rate.
Provide interpreting and other support services to students with deafness/hearing loss in the school district. Facilitate communication among students with deafness/hearing loss and their deaf/hard of hearing peers, hearing peers, the classroom teacher, and other personnel in the school system.
The Sign Language Interpreter must be able to work as part of a team; communicate positively with students, teachers, parents, and other personnel; evaluate a situation and act appropriately; and perform duties with an awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies. The Sign Language Interpreter must also demonstrate appropriate respect, discretion, and confidentiality in discussing student behavior and concerns in the presence of students, teachers, parents, and other school personnel.
The Sign Language Interpreter must interpret (convey the spoken message to a student with deafness/hearing loss at his/her level of language comprehension via sign language and finger spelling appropriate to that student), oral interpret (use voice to convey what the student with deafness/hearing loss signs and finger spells) when required, or transliterate (verbatim signing and finger-spelling of a spoken message to a student with deafness/hearing loss) in special education and /or regular education classrooms.
Completion of an Interpreter Preparation Program is preferred. Hold current certification as outlined by the Missouri Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing’s Board of Certification of Interpreters. Hold current Missouri license from the Division of Professional Registration.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
• Provides expressive and voice interpreting (may include ASL, PSE, SEE I, SEE II, MLS, or other systems student uses) and/or oral interpret for students with deafness/hearing loss in regular education and special education classrooms.
• Interprets or transliterates for students with deafness/hearing loss in extracurricular activities as assigned.
• Assists diagnostic personnel in communicating with students with deafness/hearing loss during evaluation situations as assigned.
• Interprets or transliterates for students with deafness/hearing loss in counseling or scheduling situations.
• Participates in educational team meetings when asked.
• Contributes to the development and review or progress on the Individual Education Plan (IEP), providing insight on the success of communication strategies.
• Discusses problem areas or needs for special instructional modifications with the Teacher of the Deaf/HH prior to implementation.
• Participates in other duties as determined appropriate by the educational team, supervisor, Teacher of the Deaf/HH, or the Program Coordinator.
• Prepares for demanding course material as necessary for successful interpreting and/or transliterating.
• Meets with the Teacher of the Deaf/HH periodically to discuss working relationships and student progress. May be asked to use a check sheet for mainstreamed classes.
• Conferences with the Teacher of the Deaf/HH when services are not needed in the regular education classroom to determine if other duties are needed or to report how time will be utilized. This may include previewing materials, making notebook entries, assisting with general classroom duties such as helping to create manipulatives and worksheets (including coloring, cutting, pasting, copying, filing, reproducing materials, record keeping, behavior management, student assistance/supervision, etc.)
• Provide immediate feedback to classroom teacher in regards to student’s comprehension of lesson when requested.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs other appropriate school related duties as assigned by the Principal.
The essential functions contained in this job description are in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and are not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. The additional duties and responsibilities listed are performed by individuals currently holding this position and additional duties maybe assigned when appropriate.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Salary and work year to be in accordance with current salary schedule and District Policies.
Performance in this position will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of District policy on evaluation of support staff.Please apply on our District website, www.wentzville.k12.mo.us