Job Seekers!Announce your availability and submit your resume to hundreds of Employers that visit this site. Employers can contact you directly as soon as a suitable position becomes available. Post your Resume to Fontbonne University Career Opportunities!
Go back to the Job List
Communications & Advocacy CoordinatorPosted by: St. Louis Area Foodbank
Posted date: 2013-Dec-11
Location: St. Louis County, MO
St. Louis Area Foodbank (SLAFB)
Job Title: Communications and Advocacy Coordinator
Immediate Supervisor: Communications Manager or Management designee
Employees Supervised: None
General Description/Position Summary
A leadership position responsible for external and internal communications with various stakeholders including donors, legislators, partner agencies, board of directors, employees and the general public.
Works to create a positive image of the Foodbank in the community through press releases, newsletters, presentations, talking points, annual reports and the Foodbank’s blog.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Write press releases and coordinate of media visits with appropriate Foodbank personnel.
• Act as a liaison with local and national legislators. Inform them of Foodbank events that impact their constituents, as well as issues that impact those served by the Foodbank.
• Make at least four visits to Jefferson City, Mo. and Springfield, Il each year to meet with legislators serving our service territory.
• Develop a set of talking points on legislative issues as needed.
• Develop and update age appropriate talking points about the Foodbank for external speaking engagements and tours. Update them on an annual basis.
• Develop age appropriate presentations about the Foodbank. Update them on an annual basis.
• Archive all print and online pieces that mention the St. Louis Area Foodbank.
• Photograph events, press conferences, check presentations and other Foodbank-related opportunities.
• Edit external communications including, but not limited to the Tablesetter newsletter, annual report and press releases.
• Collect client stories and take photographs to be used in the Foodbank’s annual report.
• Write blog posts as needed.
• Make website updates as needed.
• Represent and speak on behalf of the Foodbank at internal and external functions as needed.
• Speak to the media on behalf of the Foodbank when designated.
• Develop signage for various departments within the organization as needed.
• Order business cards and nameplates for new employees as needed.
• Assist Communications Manager with collateral materials and Foodbank apparel.
• Assist various Foodbank personnel with Foodbank events such as, but not limited to: Stamp Out Hunger, Wine, Women and Shoes, Hunger Is No Laughing Matter, Taste of the NFL, Scouting for Food and Iron Fork.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, or communications.
• Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills.
• Experience with the following software: Outlook, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
• Familiar with various forms of social media and how to use them, including, but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
• Experience with the following software is a plus: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
• Photography skills are a plus.
• HTML coding and web design experience are a plus.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Professional appearance and attitude.
• Must be able to pass drug screening and criminal background check.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. Performance of other duties may be requested. Evaluations will be in part based upon performance of the tasks listed in this job description. St. Louis Area Foodbank has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment.
Special events and other projects related to this position may require evening and / or weekend work. Meeting attendance may require overnight travel.