Applied Behavioral Sciences
In the Bachelor of Arts in Applied Behavioral Sciences curriculum at Fontbonne University, students learn key concepts from psychology and related disciplines that prepare them to serve a world in need. Our core curriculum teaches students how to think critically, solve problems and communicate effectively. Applied behavioral sciences majors take several core courses in psychology and sociology, then choose from among a variety of additional courses that will help them apply behavioral sciences concepts in their chosen profession.
This major is well suited for students who wish to work in fields that involve human behavior, but who prefer a curriculum focused less on conducting scientific research and more on applying the findings of it.
You don’t need a graduate degree in psychology to use this major in your professional life, but our curriculum also provides a solid foundation for students who wish to continue graduate and professional studies in interpersonal disciplines — like counseling, sociology, social work, business or related disciplines.
Applied Behavioral Sciences Program Highlights
- The ABS major educates students in the discipline of psychology, and provides the opportunity for them to apply what they’ve learned to related areas such as human resources, sociology, counseling, or market research.
- This major is very flexible — it can be completed in a traditional day program or through a combination of evening and online classes, and a wide variety of courses count toward the degree.
- Students have opportunities to engage in various experiential learning opportunities, such as psychology labs, internships, service projects and research projects.
- All ABS majors graduate with a career portfolio that helps them obtain the jobs they want.
- There is no other major like this one in the St. Louis area!
- PSY 100 Introduction to Psychology
- PSY 200 Developmental Psychology
- SOC 100 Survey of Sociology
- PSY 391 Testing and Measurement for the Behavioral Sciences
- PSY 320 Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
- PSY 310 Social Psychology
IN-FIELD LEARNING EXPERIENCES AND SUCCESSES
Our graduates are well prepared to enter careers in a variety of fields such as public health, nonprofits and education. According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities in the applied social and behavioral sciences are expected to grow approximately 23 percent by 2018, so our graduates will continue to be in demand.
Recent graduates of our psychology and applied behavioral sciences majors are employed at such organizations as:
- Metro Bi-State Development Agency
- The Jane Doe Advocacy Center
- Market Probe Market Research
Graduate Program Enrollment
Recent graduates are enrolled in graduate programs at institutions throughout the country. Some programs our recent alumni have enrolled in include:
- Ph.D. program in School Psychology at UMSL
- Ph.D. program in Health Psychology at the University of Rhode Island
- Ph.D. program in Sociology at Yale University
- Ph.D. program in Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University
Applied Behavioral Sciences Career Opportunities
Questions? Contact our Office of Admission: 314-889-1400 or 1-800-205-5862 | firstname.lastname@example.org