Biology for Secondary Education
Like our biology major, Fontbonne’s major in biology for secondary education provides a strong foundation in biology, chemistry and physics, in addition to providing the necessary instruction to prepare you for a rewarding career teaching at the high school level. As a biology for secondary education major, you will take core biology, chemistry, math and physics courses, as well as a critical block of education courses. You will master planning, behavior management, instruction and student teaching while focused on scientific content.
Biology for Secondary Education Program Highlights
- Core academic foundation in biology
- Classroom experience through observation and student teaching
- Renovated biology, chemistry, and physics laboratories
- State-of-the-art greenhouse
- Fontbonne University meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation.
- BIO 112 General Biology I
- BIO 114 General Biology II with Lab
- BIO 196 Biology Seminar I
- BIO 212 Genetics
- BIO 318 Cell and Molecular Biology
- EDU 201 Introduction to Classroom Teaching–Middle/Secondary
- EDU 203 Survey of learners with exceptionalities
- EDU 234 Philosophical Foundations of Education
- EDU 350 Methods of Teaching Reading in the Content Area
- EDU 401 Classroom/Behavior Management Techniques
- EDU 447 Planning for Instruction and Assessment—Middle and Secondary
- EDU 451 Student Teaching at the Secondary Level
Recent Biology for Secondary Education Program Success Stories
Recent graduates are teaching locally in the Wentzville, Oakville and Lindbergh school districts, as well as districts as far away as Michigan.
Biology Career Opportunities
Questions? Contact our Office of Admission: 314-889-1400 or 1-800-205-5862 | email@example.com