Medical Laboratory Sciences
When you earn a degree in medical laboratory sciences (MLS) from Fontbonne, you have the opportunity to aid in the diagnosis and potential treatment of human diseases. In this highly specialized field, you will be part of a team working with pathogens, cells, tissues and genes. Fontbonne has partnered with Mercy Hospital to offer this program in accredited, teaching-hospital laboratories, giving students the science background and the clinical experience needed to be part of this exciting field.
Students enroll in a three-year program of study at Fontbonne, followed by a fourth year at Mercy Hospital, earning a bachelor’s degree in medical laboratory sciences. Students must, however, be accepted into the Mercy program, where they’ll attend their fourth year fully on site with intensive clinical experience. If students are not accepted into the Mercy program, they complete a bachelor’s in biology at Fontbonne.
- Fourth-year study consists of courses like urinalysis, hematology, blood bank, immunology/serology, mycology and others.
- Small, interactive classes
- Faculty as mentors
- Real-world experiences and observations
- New, state-of-the-art laboratories
- Accredited, teaching-hospital laboratory partnerships
- Preparation for highly specialized, in-demand careers
Medical Laboratory Sciences Course Samples
- BIO 196
Biology Seminar I2 credits
This course will provide first-year biology students with an overview of opportunities in biology careers as well as exposure to current research areas of the department. This seminar will familiarize students with scientific
presentation and writing formats.
- BIO 318
Cell and Molecular Biology3 credits
Study of fine structures, metabolism, physical, and chemical activities of cells and subcellular structures. Prerequisites: Introductory biology course; BIO 114.
- CHM 213
Organic Chemistry II Lab2 credits
Laboratory experience to accompany CHM 212. Must be taken concurrently with CHM 212 or by consent of the department chair. Prerequisites: CHM210, CHM211.
- Hospital lab professional in Immunology, Bacteriology or Pathology
Medical Laboratory Sciences Career Opportunities
- Since its inception a few years ago, this program has had a 100% success rate for graduating trained and certified medical lab specialists that have gone on to rewarding careers
- Currently two students are pursuing their degrees at Mercy Hospital and many more are completing the preliminary coursework in this engaging and in-demand field.
Questions? Contact our Office of Admission: 314-889-1400 or 1-800-205-5862 | email@example.com