Master of Science in Instructional Design and Technology
Fontbonne University’s newly redesigned Master of Science in Instructional Design and Technology is for professionals who want to identify, plan, create and deliver instructional experiences to a targeted audience. This program will prepare you to be a leader in the analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation of instruction — connecting emerging technologies with current research and practice.
Now, corporate trainers will benefit from the type of innovative learning technologies that K – 12 educators are using in their classrooms. Choose from one of four specializations, giving you the customization to engage all learners, whether in a classroom, conference room, hospital, tech company or beyond.
Learn to evaluate and design best-practice learning technologies, while also creating — during the program — technology-enhanced projects and lessons to improve student learning and engagement. The curriculum also focuses on ways that educators can use technology for professional development activities that engage various audiences on current topics such as trauma awareness, personalized learning and differentiated instruction.
Learner Experience Design* (LX Design)
You will learn to analyze, design, develop, implement and evaluate technologies that will empower you to create robust training materials to improve knowledge and skills in the workplace. You will be able to deliver content to your organization that cuts across disciplines and embraces graphics, multimedia, research, branching scenarios and interactive simulations and assessments — all based on instructional design and adult learning theories. Excellent for those in business, healthcare, government and other industries.
Web Development and Multimedia Production**
You will focus on web design, site structure, web programming, graphic design and video editing, including green screen video production. Ideal for those in an instructional design field in the business world or for high school teachers looking to implement web development and multimedia production with students in all content areas.
Mobile App Development / Computer Programming**
You will learn to create mobile apps that integrate the instructional curriculum within your organization. You will learn fundamental programming languages, user interfaces, software systems and frameworks ideal for app development and associated topics such as networking, hosting infrastructure and security. Teachers, this program will also give you the knowledge base to teach students how to create their own mobile apps in a computer programming course.
*These specializations can be completed online.
** These specializations feature online courses combined with face-to-face courses.
NOTE: All required core courses are offered online.
Why Our Program is Different
- Courses are relevant and current to today’s marketplace.
- Depending on the specialization, you will create instructional experiences using emerging and industry standard software such as Adobe Captivate, Adobe Cloud Applications, Articulate Storyline, web authoring and video production software.
- Projects will focus on real-world challenges and will be showcased through an online ePortfolio.
- Students may create iOS or Android apps to create mobile learning applications or mLearning content.
- Work with subject matter experts (SMEs) in the appropriate career field in a project-based internship course.
Also available: 24-credit-hour certificate in instructional design and technology.
Admission Requirements for the Master of Science in Instructional Design and Technology
1. A minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale is required for full acceptance. Others may be admitted on probationary status pending demonstration of ability to perform quality work at the graduate level.
2. A current resume with three references OR three letters of recommendation, one of which is from a current or recent supervisor. If this is not possible, please contact the program director.
3. Self-statement: in 500 – 600 words, tell us your goals and reason(s) for pursuing graduate study in instructional design & technology.
Required Core Courses
- IDT 500 Foundations of Instructional Design Systems
- IDT 505 Teaching Technology and Learning Theory
- IDT 525 Legal and Ethical Technology Issue
- IDT 535 Instructional Games and Simulations
- IDT 565 The Internet and the Web
- IDT 595 Capstone Portfolio
To schedule an appointment or to learn more about our degree program,
call 314-863-2220 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Mary Abkemeier
Jo Ann Mattson
MS in IDT program director