Where am I?
Professor of Psychology
Director of the Psychology Program
- Ph.D. Developmental and Biological Psychology, Virginia Tech
- MS Experimental Psychology, Virginia Tech
- BS Psychology and English, Virginia Tech
Research Area/Scholarly Interests:
Dr. Foushée's current research interests include historical issues and trends in psychology, teaching of psychology, developmental and evolutionary perspectives in comparative psychology, psychology of women/gender issues, and nervous system development during infancy.
- Foushée, R. D. (2008). Academic advising and teachable moments: Making the most of the advising experience. In B. Perlman, L. I., McCann, & S. H. McFadden (Eds.), Lessons learned, Vol. 3: Practical advice for the teaching of psychology (pp. 295-303). Washington, DC: Association for Psychological Science.
- Ronca, A. E., Baer, L. A., Everett, E. M., Shaughnessy, R., & Foushée, R. D. (2004). Effects of 2G hypergravity exposure on bobwhite (Colinus virginanus) and japanese quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica). Journal of Gravitational Physiology, 11, 241-242.
- Foushée, R. D., & Sleigh, M. J. (2004). Going the extra mile: Identifying and assisting struggling students. In B. Perlman, L. I., McCann, & S. H. McFadden (Eds.), Lessons learned, Vol. 2: Practical advice for the teaching of psychology (pp. 303-311). Washington, DC: American Psychological Society.
- Foushée, R. D., & Lickliter, R. (2002). Early visual experience affets postnatal auditory discrimination in bobwhite quail (Colinus virginanus). Journal of Comparative Psychology, 116, 369-380.
Recent Conference Presentations:
- Foushée, R. D., & Mank, A. L. (2008, November). Forty (+1) years of development: The international society for developmental psychobiology family tree (1967 - 2008). Presented at the 41st Annual Meeting of the International Society for Developmental Psychobiology, Washington, DC.
- Foushée, R. D., & Mank, A. L. (2008, November). ISDP at forty (+1) years: The historical development of a scientific society. In Shoemaker, W., Foushée, R. D., Laughlin, N., & Mank, A. L., ISDP at forty (+1) years: Where have we been, where are we going? Historians Symposium at the 41st Annual Meeting of the International Society for Developmental Psychobiology, Washington, DC.
- Foushée, R. D., & Meeks, L. (2007, November). Intensity and type of prenatal auditory stimulation alters postnatal perceptual preference and behavior in bobwhite quail (Colinus virginanus). Presented at the 40th Annual Meeting of the International Society for Developmental Psychobiology, San Diego, CA.
- Foushée, R. D., & Newman, L. C. (2007, October). Encouraging and assessing individual development: The senior capstone experience at a small liberal arts college. In Foushée, R. D., Newman, L. C., Roberts, J. E., Young, K., & McCartney, J. S., One size does not fit all: Comparing capstone experiences across universities. Symposium presented at the 6th Annual Best Practices in Teaching of Psychology Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Schulte, A. C., & Foushée, R. D. (2006, May). Gender differences in post-secondary education and life goals. Presented at the 78th Annual Meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association, Chicago, IL.
- Foushée, R. D. (2005, April). Encouraging and maintaining student engagement in an established psychology club. In Foushée, R. D., Kohn, C., Ahrens, C., Bertolotti, H., Jennings, A., Gravito, S., & Melucci, N. J., Psyching up the psych club: Strategies for increasing interest, membership, and retention. Symposium at the 85th Annual Meeting of the Western Psychological Association, Portland, OR.
- International Society for Developmental Psychobiology (ISDP)
- Association for Psychological Science (APS)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Society for Teaching of Psychology (APA Division 2)
- Developmental Psychology (APA Division 7)
- Society for the History of Psychology (APA Division 26)
- Society for the Psychology of Women (APA Division 35)
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Psi Chi
- Introduction to Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Psychology of Women
- Research Methods in Psychology
- Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
- Biological Psychology
- History & Systems in Psychology
- Senior Research Seminar I and II
Department of Behavioral Sciences
6800 Wydown Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105
Phone: (314) 889-1485
Office: 324 East Building