Where am I?
Assistant Professor of Psychology
- Ph.D. Social Psychology, Saint Louis University
- M.S.R. Research in Social Psychology, Saint Louis University
- BA Psychology and Sociology, with minor in Global Studies, Drury University
Research Area/Scholarly Interests:
Dr. Afful's research interests include modern models of racism, measurement of contemporary racism, oppositional thinking, racial & gender identity, teaching of psychology, etiology of cocaine dependence, and gender differences within substance abuse and dependence.
- Cavazos-Rehg, P. A., Spitznagel, E. L, Schootman, M., Strickland, J. R., Afful, S. E., Cottler, L. B., & Bierut, L. J. (2009). Risky sexual behaviors and sexually transmitted diseases: A comparison study of cocaine dependent individuals in treatment versus a community-matched sample. AIDS Patient Care & STDs, 23(9), 727-734.
- Bierut, L. J., Strickland, J. R., Thompson, J. R., Afful, S. E., & Cottler, L. B. (2008). Drug use and dependence in cocaine dependent subjects and community based individuals and their siblings. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 95, 14-22.
- Harvey, R. D., & Afful, S. E. (2007). The psychology of affirmative action: A review of psychological perspective of affirmative action. PsycCritiques, 52(17).
- Harvey, R. D., & Afful, S. E. (under review). Racialization, racial identity, and health behaviors: A case for culturally sensitive health interventions. Journal of Black Psychology.
- Kusto, A. R., Afful, S. E., & Mattingly, B. A. (under review). The universal professor: Students' perceptions of and preferences for professors. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.
Recent Conference Presentations:
- Newman, L. C., Lancaster, M., & Afful, S. E. (January 2010). Unintentional effects of in-class debate. Presented at the Teaching Pre-Conference at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology Eleventh Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- Afful, S. E., & Harvey, R. D. (February 2009). Juxtaposing racial in-groups vs. out-groups: Do we need self control? Presented at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology Annual Conference, Tampa, FL.
- Afful, S. E., & Harvey, R. D. (May 2008). Polarization of social groups as a predictor of explicit racism. Presented at the Midwestern Psychological Association Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Afful, S. E., Kusto, A. R., & Mattingly, B. A. (May, 2007). Occupational schemas: How do students perceive professors across three disciplines? Presented at the Council of Teachers of Undergraduate Psychology (CTUP) at the 2007 Midwestern Psychological Association Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Association for Psychological Science (APS)
- Midwestern Psychological Association (MPA)
- Society for Teaching of Psychology, APA Division 2 (STP)
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP)
- Psi Chi
- Introduction to Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Research Methods
- Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
- Positive Psychology
Department of Behavioral Sciences
6800 Wydown Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105
Phone: (314) 719-3610
Office: East 312B