Where am I?
Deaf Education Program
For 50 years, Fontbonne’s deaf education program has prepared professionals to teach children who are deaf and hard-of-hearing. Our graduates are knowledgeable of current trends and are committed to collaboration, lifelong learning and professional development. With a Fontbonne education, you’ll graduate with a broad background in deaf education and special education as well as speech and hearing sciences.
Deaf Education Program Highlights
- One of the few four-year undergraduate deaf education programs in the country
- Program approved by the
- Senior-year teaching experience designed to fit your interests
- Work directly with children using the latest listening technology including cochlear implants
- Participate in field experiences in a variety of settings and age levels
- Eligibility for Missouri teacher certification in birth-12 deaf/hearing impaired education
View our video, Sound Beginnings, on the history of the deaf education program at Fontbonne University.
- St. Joseph Institute for the Deaf – Professional Development School Partnership
- Special School District of St. Louis County
- St. Louis Public Schools
Fontbonne University’s Deaf Education Graduate Successes
- Jenna Voss ’03, MA’04 and Natalie Austin ’02, MA ’04 are National Leadership Consortium in Sensory Disabilities fellows pursuing PhD studies. Voss is in the Program in Audiology and Communication Sciences at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. Natalie is in the Special Education Program at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, Colorado.
- Melanie Paticoff ’11 is the creator and author of Sophie’s Tales, a series of children’s books designed to support kids with hearing loss and help raise awareness about oral deaf education and cochlear implants.
- Sheila Petasek ’05, MA ’06, an Early Childhood Hearing Impaired Teacher at Lowell Elementary School in Waukesha, Wis., is the President of the AG Bell Chapter in Wisconsin.
Questions? Contact Admissions: (314) 889-1400 or 1-800-205-5862 | firstname.lastname@example.org