Where am I?
The Prijedor Exhibit
The exhibit Prijedor: Lives from the Bosnian Genocide tells the story of genocide in the Bosnian city of Prijedor between 1992 and 1995. Thirty-four display panels and a forty-minute video combine information from official sources, including the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, with original photographs and compelling testimony from genocide survivors now living in St. Louis.
Prijedor: Lives from the Bosnian Genocide was on view at the Holocaust Museum and Learning Center in Creve Coeur, Missouri from November 25, 2007 until April 16, 2008, where it was visited by 10,729 people. Since then, it has been shown at the following locations:
- Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado, in Denver, CO, September 13, 2008-December 31, 2008;
- Southern Commercial Bank, St. Louis, MO, May 22, 2008-October 14, 2008;
- Fontbonne University, St. Louis, MO, October 25, 2008-December 1, 2008;
- Rayburn Congressional Office Building, Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C., February 26, 2009;
- St. Louis Community College-Meramec, Meramec Bottom facility, September 1, 2009-October 14, 2009;
- St. Louis Community College-Meramec, October 15, 2009-December 1, 2009;
- McDaniel College, Westminster, MD, March 22, 2010-April 8, 2010;
- Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville, October 1, 2010-November 1, 2010; and
- Central Slavic Conference, St. Louis, MO, November 5, 2010-November 7, 2010.
The exhibit has received extensive coverage in the local and national media. An AP article about the exhibit was published in some 120 news outlets, including the Los Angeles Times the Washington Post, and ABC News. Outside of the U.S., the exhibit has been covered in two Bosnian websites and in Germany’s daily newspaper Die Welt. In St. Louis, it has been featured in the Post-Dispatch, the South County Times, and the Suburban Journals. Numerous articles about the exhibit and related activities have also been published in Sabah, a Bosnian-language newspaper circulated throughout North America.
Prijedor: Lives from the Bosnian Genocide resulted from extensive collaboration between the Union of Citizens of the Municipality of Prijedor, the Holocaust Museum and Learning Center, Fontbonne University, the St. Louis Chapter of the American Red Cross, Patrick McCarthy (St. Louis University), and Barbara Nwacha (Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville). Fontbonne’s contribution to this collaborative exhibit is part of the ongoing Bosnia Memory Project at Fontbonne University, dedicated to establishing an enduring record of the experiences of Bosnian immigrants in St. Louis.