Skip to main content

Optional Practical Training

Optional Practical Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is work authorization available to international students who have been in valid F-1 status for at least one full academic year and who plan to seek employment in the U.S. in their field of study.

OPT is recommended by the Office of International Affairs, but final approval is granted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

Requirements for OPT:

  • Student must have been in a valid immigration status (such as F-1) for at least one academic year. One year of OPT is available at each level of education. During the period of OPT, a student continues in F-1 status, since OPT is considered to be part of the program of study.
  • A job offer is not required to apply for OPT; however, once you find a job, you must notify the Office of International Affairs. The employment may occur anywhere in the U.S.
  • It can take the USCIS three to five months to issue the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) that allows you to begin working on OPT. There is no way to expedite an application.
  • If 12 months or more of full-time CPT is used, a student forfeits OPT eligibility. Accrual of part-time CPT does not affect eligibility for OPT.
  • Once the OPT application is submitted to the USCIS, it is very difficult to change or cancel the application.

Types of OPT

1. Pre-completion OPT

Pre-completion OPT allows students who have not yet completed a degree program to be authorized for off-campus employment. The application process for pre-completion OPT is the same as for other types of OPT and requires 2-3 months processing by USCIS.

  • Students on pre-completion OPT are still required to meet the full-time enrollment requirement each semester (fall and spring) and can only work part-time during school sessions. They can work full-time during official school vacations (winter break and summer break).
  • Pre-completion OPT must end by the student’s program completion date.
  • Students do not have a limit on days of unemployment.
  • The amount of time you use for pre-completion OPT will be deducted from your 12-month allowance.
  • Curricular Practical Training is a better option in most cases for working prior to your degree completion.

2. Post-Completion OPT

Post-completion OPT provides for up to one year of practical training authorization after completion of studies. Students can apply up to 90 days before and up to 60 days after program end date. 

  • It is recommended that students apply before completing their last semester of enrollment to avoid additional processing time and the possible loss of days of employment availability.
  • In addition, OPT applications must be submitted to USCIS within 30 days of receiving an OPT I-20 from the Office of International Affairs.

3. STEM OPT Extension

Students who have received a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree in certain STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) fields may be eligible to apply for a one-time 24-month extension of post-completion OPT.

  • See for a list of eligible STEM fields.
  • This extension can only be used twice over student’s lifetime; not after each degree level, like post-completion OPT.
  • The new STEM extension EAD card begins the day after the expiration of the previous OPT EAD and ends 24 months later; no matter when approved. Student may continue to work while the application is pending IF the application is submitted before the EAD card expires for up to 180 days.
  • Employers must be registered with the U.S. Government E-Verity employment verification system.

Information About OPT


In general, F-1 students who have been in the U.S. for no more than five different calendar years are exempt from Social Security taxes. You should be sure to bring this to the attention of your employer because many employers are not familiar with this provision of the tax laws. Students in F-1 status are subject to all other taxes that may apply, including federal, state and local. For more information, please consult with a tax professional and/or Publication 519 of the Internal Revenue Service.

Complying with F-1 status regulations while on OPT

F-1 students are responsible for complying with all immigration regulations, including employment regulations. Working without the proper authorization is a serious violation of nonimmigrant status in the U.S. If a student fails to comply, he or she may not be eligible for benefits normally granted to F-1 students and may jeopardize his or her stay in the U.S. Prior to accepting any employment in the US, students should consult with the Office of International Affairs.

  • Employment Related to Major. OPT is intended to enhance an F-1 student’s academic program by providing a means to gain experience in his or her field of study. The USCIS considers working in a job that is not related to his or her major a violation of F-1 status.
  • Periods of Employment. Once an F-1 student completes his or her degree, he or she cannot work on-campus or off-campus until he or she has the EAD and the start date has arrived.
  • Periods of Unemployment. During post completion OPT, students may not accrue an aggregate total of more than 90 days of unemployment during any post-completion OPT carried out under the initial post-completion OPT authorization. No special permission is required to change employers or terminate employment.
  • Reporting Changes Employment. An F-1 student authorized by USCIS to engage in Optional Practical Training is required to report within 10 days of any change in the following: employer name, employer address and/or, periods of employment and/or unemployment. Update your employment information by emailing
  • An F-1 student authorized by USCIS to engage in Optional Practical Training is required to report within 10 days of any change in the following: legal name, residential including changes from one residence hall to another or mailing address. Update your address by emailing
  • Maintain the validity of your immigration documents. F-1 students should keep his or her passport valid for at least six months in to the future. F-1 students should keep his or her visa valid if traveling outside the U.S.
  • Copies of Immigration Documents. F-1 students should keep copies of all immigration documents including: passport photo page, visa in passport, I-94 Form, current I-20, all copies of any I-20 issued.
  • International travel before the completion of an F-1 student’s academic program.  F-1 students must have the second page of your I-20 form signed by a university DSO before traveling. The signature date on your I-20 is valid for only one year of travel; check to make sure the signature is and will be valid upon return. Before leaving you must check to make sure that your student visa will still be valid upon re-entry into the U.S. If not, a new visa will need to be applied for prior to your return to the U.S.
  • International travel after completion of an F-1 student’s academic program. The guidance for travel of students who have a valid visa is related to whether OPT has been approved or not yet.
  • If post-completion OPT has not been approved yet -Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card still not yet issued by USCIS, and there is not a job or a job offer, an F-1 student may leave and then re-enter the U.S. to continue to look for employment with a valid travel signature on page 2 of the OPT I-20.
  • If post-completion OPT has been approved -EAD card has been issued by USCIS and there is a job or a job offer, an F-1 student may leave and re-enter the U.S. in order to begin or resume employment with a valid travel signature on page 2 of the OPT I-20.
  • If your post-completion OPT has been approved and an F-1 student leaves the U.S. before getting a job or a job offer, OPT ends and the student may not re-enter the U.S. as an F-1 student.

OPT Application Process

  1. Read the information about OPT.
  2. Request OPT by completing the Fontbonne OPT Request Form (pages 4 and 5). Forms should be turned in two weeks prior to desired appointment date (step 4). See “USCIS Application deadlines” below to make sure you schedule your appointment well in advance of the deadlines.
  3. Prepare the USCIS Application materials.
  4. Schedule an appointment with the Office of International Student Affairs be brought to the appointment. See “USCIS Application deadlines” below to make sure you schedule your appointment well in advance of the deadlines.
  5. Mail application packet within 30 days of issuance of OPT I-20 (DSO signature printed date on page 1).
  6. Be sure to send to the correct mailing address.
  7. Write “I-765” on lower left corner of envelope.
  8. When you have properly filed your application, you will receive a Notice of Action from the USCIS with a case number. You can use this case number to track your case online at
  9. Receive your Employment Authorization Document (EAD). It may take up to three months. You cannot begin work of any type until you receive your EAD.
  10. Begin OPT once start date has arrived. (STEM extension students may continue to work while application is pending for up to 180 days.)
  11. Apply for Social Security Number (cannot apply before start date on EAD). (Unless checked “yes” on #14 on Form I-765)
  12. Report employment and any changes in employment or address to the Office of International Affairs. Update your employment information with the Update Information Form.

USCIS Application Deadlines

  • Pre-completion OPT – USCIS Applications deadline is 90 days before your desired start date.
  • Post-Completion OPT – USCIS Applications can be accepted up to 90 days before and up to 60 days after program completion.
  • STEM Extension– USCIS recommends you apply up to 120 days before your OPT end date. Applications cannot be submitted after the end date.

USCIS Application Materials

Please check USCIS website for updated listing.

  • Application Fee (Use a money order or personal check made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”). Can also pay using credit card with Form G-1450
  • Form I-765 See “Tips for completing form I-765” below.
  • Photocopies of your new OPT I-20 and all previous I-20s (Make sure all your I-20s are signed before copying them. Keep the originals for your records.)
  • Photocopy of I-94 (If you last entered the US after July 2013 by air or sea, you will need to print your electronic I-94 record. If you last entered before July 2013 or by land, this is the small, white card usually stapled into your passport. Include a copy of both sides of the I-94, even though the back side may be blank.)
  • Photocopy of Passport (passport biographical information page and any renewal pages)
  • Photocopy of Visa
  • Photocopy of past EAD cards if applicable (front and back)
  • Two color, U.S. passport-style, photographs (Photos need to be a certain size. For guidelines, see: Write your name and I-94 number on the back of each photo in pencil in case they get separated from your application. Place photos in plastic bag or envelope and staple to top of Form I-765. Do not staple the photos.
  • Form G‐1145 Attach completed form to first page of I‐756 application.

Tips for completing form I-765

  • Applying for:
  • Pre/Post complete OPT—use “permission to accept employment”
  • STEM OPT Extension—use “renewal of my permission to accept employment”
  • #1: Be sure to write name in correct order (Family, First, Middle)—this is what will be written on your EAD. Write family name in ALL CAPS. First (and middle, if have) name should not be all caps; only first letter should be capitalized. This name should match your OPT I-20 and passport.
  • #3: Use an address that will be valid for the entire next 3 months. If address is not known or there is possibility of change, use the Office of International Student Services (see below). Any requests for evidence, communication, or EAD card, if approved, will be sent to this address so it needs to be an address that will be regularly checked.
  • #4, 5, 6: Should match the information on your passport
  • #9: If do not have, write “none”
  • #10, 12, 13, and 14: This is information from most recent entry on I-94/passport stamp.
  • #11: If have never applied: check “No”
             If have applied: check “Yes”
  • USCIS office: see EAD card number for office code: YSC-Potomac, LIN-Nebraska, WAC-California, EAC-Vermont, SRC-Texas, MSC-Missouri
  • Dates: start date on EAD card
  • Results:
  • if approved—Granted (include copy of front/back of EAD card with application)
  • if not approved—Denied
  • #15: Current status: F-1 Student
  • #16: If pre-completion OPT, use: (c)(3)(A).
  • If post-completion OPT, use: (c)(3)(B).
  • If STEM extension, use: (c)(3)(C).
  • #17: only needed if STEM extension
  • Degree: write level of degree (i.e. Bachelor’s, Master’s, PhD, etc.)
  • Employer’s name: as listed in E-Verify
  • Employer’s E-Verify number—should be able to get from company’s HR department.
  • Don’t forget to sign, date and include phone number

Additional Resources

Contact Us

Reach out the Office of International Affairs at if you have questions!

We are using cookies to give you the best experience. You can find out more about which cookies we are using or switch them off in privacy settings.
AcceptPrivacy Settings


  • GDPR Privacy Policy
  • Google Analytics

GDPR Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy

Overall Policy

Thank you for visiting our website. We’re pleased to share our policy regarding the use of information received here. Privacy is a matter of concern to us. We are committed to protecting your privacy and the security of the information that you may provide to us.

Personal Information

We do not track individual users. Your email address or other personal information is not collected unless you provide it on a form, survey or application. We will not sell or otherwise make available any personally identifiable information to any organization not directly affiliated with us. We will comply with legitimate government or legal requests as necessary to protect our organization or to comply with laws.

Traffic Analysis

We analyze traffic to this site. We collect statistical data on an aggregated basis through Google Analytics. For example, we collect information about the domain names of servers that bring visitors to our site. We count the number of visitors and keep track of where they go on our site. Such information allows us to find out what areas users visit most frequently and what services they access the most, which enables us to create a better overall user experience. To gather such data, we use cookie technology, which collects data in aggregate form, not by individual user.


As referenced above, we use cookie technology for traffic analysis. Cookies are small pieces of information stored by your browser on your computer’s hard drive. The cookies placed by our server do not gather personal information about you, do not provide any way for us to contact you and do not gather information about your computer. The cookies simply allow us to enhance our site by letting us know what sections are visited most often. The use of cookies is common on the Internet, and our use of them is similar to that of other reputable online organizations.

Links To Other Sites

Our site contains links to other sites and Internet resources. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these third-party websites and Internet resources.

Updates To Privacy Policy

We may update the privacy policy periodically, and we encourage visitors to review them on a regular basis.

Last revised: June 2015

Google Analytics