Skip to main content

Maintaining Status

How to Maintain Your Student Status

  1. Report to Fontbonne University
    Students must report to campus within 30 days after entering the country and within 30 days of the current session start date. Students cannot enter the country more than 30 days before program start date on the I-20.
  2. Always enroll full-time
    F-1 visa students must maintain full-time student status every semester, this is defined as 12 credit hours for undergraduate students and 9 credit hours for graduate students. F-1 students may only count 3 credit hours of online courses toward full-time enrollment requirements.
  3. Update your local address
    Federal immigration regulations require you to update your local residential address within 10 days of any address change within the U.S. including changes from one residence hall to another. Please update your address by emailing
  4. Maintain the validity of your immigration documents
    – If you are traveling outside the U.S., your passport and your visa should be valid. Do not let your passport expire. You should keep your passport valid for at least six months into the future while you are studying in the U.S. Consult your country’s consulate or embassy in the U.S. to renew your passport. You can find the contact information for your consulate online here
    – If your visa expires while you are in the U.S., contact the F-1 International Student Advisor before departure from the U.S. because you will need to apply for another student visa before you can return.
    – As long as your I-20 record in SEVIS is current and in good status, you do not need a valid visa to remain in the United States. A valid F-1 visa is only required for international travel to re-enter the United States.
    What should I do if I lose my passport? I-94? I-20? DS-2019? Visa?
  5. Update/change program dates
    – If you will finish your studies early or late (before or after the program end date listed on your I-20), you must contact the F-1 International Student Advisor at least 3 weeks before the finish date on your I20. You must request an extension of program dates. If you do not update the program dates on your SEVIS record, the record will terminate and you will be “out-of-status.”
    – Notify the F-1 International Student Advisor when you leave the U.S. or change your visa status.
    – When you finish your program and leave the U.S. permanently, or if you change to another visa status (for instance if an employer plans to do an H1B visa application for you after you graduate or you finish your OPT), let the F-1 International Student Advisor know in person or by email.
  6. Discuss transfer plans with a designated school official (DSO)
    If you plan to transfer to another school or to go on to attend graduate school after you graduate from Fontbonne University notify the F-1 International Student Student Advisor/DSO.
  7. Keep copies of immigration documents
    – Keep copies of all immigration documents including the passport photo/information page, the visa page of your passport, your I-94 Form (both sides, even if the back side has no writing, if you received the card version on re-entry), the I-20 (for F-1 visa students), and keep all copies of any previous I-20s issued to you during your time as an international student.
    – Remember to keep all immigration documents in a safe place. If possible during an emergency, carry your immigration documents on your body.
    What should I do if I lose my passport? I-94? I-20? DS-2019? Visa? 
  8. If you change your degree major/program or level…
    – Contact the F-1 International Student Advisor prior to changing your educational program or level. For example, if your I-20 states that you are studying chemistry and you want to change your program of study to marketing, you must notify the F-1 International Student Advisor within 10 days of the change. All program changes must be updated in the SEVIS system. If you have graduated from an undergraduate program and will be beginning graduate studies, you must notify the F-1 International Student Advisor and request a change of degree level.
  9. If you want to work…
    – F-1 students are not permitted to work off campus (outside of the university) without prior authorization. Off-campus employment is any type of work or services performed in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food, or any other benefit that does not take place on the Fontbonne University campus.
    – Students with financial problems should speak with the F-1 International Student Advisor but should never work off campus without first requesting the work through SEVIS. If you are currently authorized to work off campus due to economic hardship, your off-campus work authorization terminates when you transfer. You must re-apply for off-campus work authorization at your new school.
    – All F-1 students are permitted to work on campus for 20 hours per week during the academic year and 40 hours per week on campus during summer and winter breaks.
  10. If making plans for international travel…
    – You must have the third page of your I-20 form signed by a university DSO before traveling. The signature date on your I-20 is valid for only one year of travel; check to make sure the signature is and will be valid upon return. 
    – Before leaving you must check to make sure that your student visa will still be valid upon re-entry into the U.S. If not, you will need to apply for a new visa prior to your return to the U.S. 
    – You must make sure that your passport is valid up to six months after your re-entry date. 
    – Carry your I-20, passport, visa, financial support documentation, and other proof of student identification including transcripts, student I.D., and emergency contact information for the Fontbonne  SEVIS PDSO (Primary Designated School Official) or DSO (Designated School Official) on your person when leaving and re-entering the U.S. Do not place in your checked luggage.
    – If you need to renew your visa in order to re-enter the United States you must apply in person to a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad. Applicants are normally required to submit the following documentation: valid passport, current passport-size photographs, valid Form I-20 (3 pages), proof of financial support (bank statements and/or scholarship, or financial aid letter) and proof of enrollment (certificate of enrollment or transcript).

Contact Us

Questions? Contact the International Affairs office at

We are using cookies to give you the best experience. You can find out more about which cookies we are using or switch them off in privacy settings.
AcceptPrivacy Settings


  • GDPR Privacy Policy
  • Google Analytics

GDPR Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy

Overall Policy

Thank you for visiting our website. We’re pleased to share our policy regarding the use of information received here. Privacy is a matter of concern to us. We are committed to protecting your privacy and the security of the information that you may provide to us.

Personal Information

We do not track individual users. Your email address or other personal information is not collected unless you provide it on a form, survey or application. We will not sell or otherwise make available any personally identifiable information to any organization not directly affiliated with us. We will comply with legitimate government or legal requests as necessary to protect our organization or to comply with laws.

Traffic Analysis

We analyze traffic to this site. We collect statistical data on an aggregated basis through Google Analytics. For example, we collect information about the domain names of servers that bring visitors to our site. We count the number of visitors and keep track of where they go on our site. Such information allows us to find out what areas users visit most frequently and what services they access the most, which enables us to create a better overall user experience. To gather such data, we use cookie technology, which collects data in aggregate form, not by individual user.


As referenced above, we use cookie technology for traffic analysis. Cookies are small pieces of information stored by your browser on your computer’s hard drive. The cookies placed by our server do not gather personal information about you, do not provide any way for us to contact you and do not gather information about your computer. The cookies simply allow us to enhance our site by letting us know what sections are visited most often. The use of cookies is common on the Internet, and our use of them is similar to that of other reputable online organizations.

Links To Other Sites

Our site contains links to other sites and Internet resources. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these third-party websites and Internet resources.

Updates To Privacy Policy

We may update the privacy policy periodically, and we encourage visitors to review them on a regular basis.

Last revised: June 2015

Google Analytics