Where am I?


Fontbonne Evening/Online Programs Financial FAQ


How do I make a payment?

There are several ways to make a payment to your account:

  • ONLINE through the Brentwood Business Office using an ACH payment or Mastercard, VISA or Discover card.
  • MAIL a check to Fontbonne University, Attn: Business Office, 1300 Strassner Drive, St. Louis, MO 63144
  • CALL our Student Account Coordinator at 314-889-4665, with a Mastercard, VISA or Discover number.

My employer requires a paid receipt (or invoice) in order to process my tuition reimbursement. How do I obtain that?

Most employers require either a paid receipt or invoice detailing the course number, name and all applicable charges. Some require start and end dates. Check with your employer’s HR department to determine exactly what is required. Our Student Account Coordinator would be happy to supply you with whatever documentation you need. The Student Account Coordinator can be reached at 314-889-4665 or dbuskirk@fontbonne.edu.

My employer participates in a direct billing plan with Fontbonne University. That is, they will pay the university directly for all or part of my expenses. How do I initiate this?

In order to directly bill an employer on behalf of a student, we must receive a “voucher” or “letter of credit” from the employer detailing the courses eligible for payment, and how much eligibility is available. Contact your HR department for details on how to generate that. Those vouchers can then be sent via email, fax or mail to our Student Account Coordinator for processing. She can be reached at 314-889-4665, or dbuskirk@fontbonne.edu.

My financial aid has just been awarded. What happens next?

Your funds will be received via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) in our office within 14 days. Once the Business Office receives notice of the EFT, the funds are posted to the student accounts. A personal statement is then created for each student detailing the loan period, (that is, all charges and payments associated with that time frame) and will be mailed to the student within one week. That statement will indicate whether a shortfall or an overage remains on the account. If there is an overage on the account, a refund check will be disbursed. Refund checks are processed on Wednesdays.

Why is my online balance different from the financial aid statement I received from the Business Office?

Courses charge to your account as they start, so your online account will reflect only the courses you have already taken or are currently taking. The financial aid statement, that we prepare for you in the Business Office, reflects your entire loan period and will include courses that you haven’t yet taken and therefore have not yet charged to your online account. A financial aid student will frequently notice a credit balance on his/her account. This is for courses that are in the current loan period, but have not yet started, hence, not yet billed to your account. The financial aid statement prepared by the Business Office gives the best total picture of a student’s loan period along with any shortfalls or overages.

My financial aid was not enough to cover all my expenses. How can I handle this?

There are several ways to handle a remaining balance due:

  • Tuition reimbursement from your employer
  • An alternative loan
  • A payment plan

Our Student Account Coordinator will be happy to strategize with you the best way to handle any shortfall. She can be reached at 314-889-4665, or dbuskirk@fontbonne.edu.

Where can I find how much in student loans I have borrowed?

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education's (ED) central database for federal student loans (excluding Health Professions Student Loans). NSLDS Student Access provides borrowers with a centralized, integrated view of their federal student loans.

To view NSLDS Student Access:

log into www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/

select "Financial Aid Review" (Note: Department of ED PIN is required)

How do I know what my loan payments will be?

If you've already determined how much you've borrowed in student loans, it's important to estimate how much your monthly payments will be on those loans once you've graduated, withdrawn, or if your enrollment has dropped below half-time. Use this online payment calculator to get an idea of what your payments will be.

What if I default on my student loans?

Here's what you can expect if you are in default on a student loan.

a) Tax Refund Offsets

The IRS can intercept any income tax refund you may be entitled to until your student loans are paid in full. This is one of the most popular methods of collecting on defaulted loans, and the Department of Education annually collects hundreds of millions of dollars this way.

   i.    You can challenge a tax refund offset. To learn more about acceptable reasons to challenge offsets and how to do so, see the National Consumer Law Center's Student Loan Borrower Assistance website at www.studentloanborrowerassistance.org.

b) Your Paycheck Garnished

  i.    The government can take ("garnish") a limited portion of the wages of a student loan debtor who is in default. It can take up to 15% of your disposable income. However, it cannot take more than the equivalent of 30 times the current federal minimum wage.

  ii.    As with the tax refund offset, you can object to a wage garnishment. To learn more about the reasons for objection and how to object, see the National Consumer Law Center's Student Loan Borrower Assistance website at www.studentloanborrowerassistance.org.

  iii.    Another way to avoid wage garnishment is to contact the holder of your loan and negotiate a repayment schedule.

c) Your Federal Benefits Taken

  i. The government can take some federal benefit payments (including Social Security retirement benefits and Social Security disability benefits, but not Supplemental Security Income) as reimbursement for student loans.

What if I need to withdraw or take a leave of absence?

Leave of Absence Policy

a) A leave of absence (LOA) is considered a temporary interruption in a program of study that is planned prior to a class start date. By completing the following process, students may maintain their in-school enrollment status.

The University may grant a leave of absence to students who complete the official Leave of Absence form with Student Services prior to the first scheduled class meeting. If unforeseen circumstances prevent the student from completing the form in a timely manner, the University may grant the request if all paperwork is received within 15 days of the student's last date of attendance. Unforeseen circumstances may include, but are not limited to, medical and family emergencies, business travel, University course cancellation and/or natural disasters.

Students may be approved by the University for up to two nonconsecutive leaves of absence in a calendar year. Each leave may not exceed 90 days in length (for a total of 180 days during a 12 month period).

Students who wish to take a second leave of absence during the calendar year may do so only for special circumstances which include, but are not limited to the following: military reasons, circumstances covered by the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993, ADA accommodations, jury duty, University course cancellation and/or faculty closure, and natural disasters.

Students returning from a first leave of absence must successfully complete one course, with a grade other than "W" or "F" prior to requesting a second leave.

Students who do not return to the University on the date specified on the Leave of Absence form will be moved to a withdrawn status and loan funds and grants will be returned. The last date of attendance will be determined by the last date that the student attended the University prior to the leave of absence.


Fontbonne University Evening/Online Programs - 314-863-2220

1300 Strassner Drive, St. Louis MO 63144