Office: East 203
- BA Deaf Education, Fontbonne College
- MS Education, Trinity University
- PhD Education, Saint Louis University
- Missouri: Elementary, 1-8; Kindergarten; Deaf/Hearing Impaired, K-12; Learning Disabilities, K-12
- Council on Education of the Deaf (CED): Professional
- Fontbonne University Founders Award, 2018
- Antonia Brancia Maxon Award for EHDI Excellence 2016
- Distinguished Alumnae Award, Ursuline Academy, 2015
- Joan Goosetree Stevens Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2001-2002
- Emerson Excellence in Teaching Award, 2002
- Governor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2002
- CDS 523 Intervention for Children Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- CDS 531 Communication Development for Children Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- CDS 550 Teaching Reading in Deaf Education
- DEA 440 Speech Practicum in Deaf Education
- Children who are deaf/hard of hearing
- Listening and spoken language development
- Parent-child communication
- Literacy development
- Personnel preparation
- Adversity and resilience
Voss, J. & Lenihan, S. (2020) Children Who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing and Families Experiencing Adversity: The Role of the Auditory-Verbal Practitioner. In W. Estabrooks, H. McCaffrey Morrison, & K. MacIver-Lux, (Eds.), Auditory verbal therapy: Science, research and practice (pp. 795-823). Plural Publishing.
Lenihan, S. (Ed.) (2017). Preparing to Teach, Committing to Learn: An Introduction to the Education of Children Who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing, http://www.infanthearing.org/ebook-educating-children-dhh/index.html
Salvucci, D. and Lenihan S. (2016). Five Tips for Mainstreaming Success. Hearing Health, Fall, 2016.
Voss, J. M. and Lenihan, S. (2016). “Professional Competence to Promote Resilience for Children Living in Poverty,” Journal of Early Hearing Detection and Intervention: Vol. 1: Iss. 1, Article 7. http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/jehdi/vol1/iss1/7
Voss, J., & Lenihan, S. (2015, December). “Fostering Resilience for Children Living in Poverty: Effective Practices & Resources for EHDI Professionals Journal of Early Hearing Detection and Intervention.” Issues Briefs for Early Hearing Detection and Intervention. Logan, UT: National Center on Hearing Assessment and Management. http://www.infanthearing.org/issue_briefs/Fostering_resilience_in_children_living_in_poverty.pdf
Gárate, M. & Lenihan, S. (2015). Collaboration for communication, language and cognitive development. In Sass-Lehrer, M. (Ed). Deaf and Hard of Hearing Infants, Toddlers and their Families: Interdisciplinary Perspectives (Pp.233-273). New York, NY: Oxford Press.
Lenihan, S. (March 2020) Intergenerational Engagement in Early Intervention, 2020 Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Meeting, Kansas City, MO.
Lenihan, S. (July 2019) We Are Family: The Role of Grandparents and Extended Family in Early Intervention (poster), AG Bell Global Listening and Spoken Language Symposium, Madrid, Spain
Lenihan, S. & Salvucci, D. (July 2019) Promoting Success in Inclusive Education Settings. AG Bell Global Listening and Spoken Language Symposium, Madrid, Spain.
Lenihan, S. (March, 2019) We Are Family: The Role of Grandparents and Extended Family in Early Intervention (poster), 2019 EHDI Meeting, Chicago, IL.
Lenihan, S. & Voss, J. (March 20, 2018). Language Dancing: Evidence-Based Steps for Caregivers and Their Children. Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Conference. Denver, CO.
Voss, J., White, E., Lenihan, S. (March 20, 2018). Sharing the Gift of Literacy. Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Conference. Denver, CO.
Voss, J. & Lenihan, S. (March 20, 2018). Using Restorative Practice to Promote Family Resilience. Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Conference. Denver, CO.
Using Restorative Practice to Promote Family Resilience, Voss, J and Lenihan, S. St. Louis Children’s Hospital Grand Rounds, December 2017.
Siblings and Parents of Individuals Who Are Deaf Choosing Careers in Deaf Education, Crouse, E. and Lenihan, S., ACE-DHH 2017, San Antonio, TX
Advancing Professional Support for Families in Poverty. Lenihan, S., Voss, J. & Kinsella, C. (2016, July 2). 2016 Convention of the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Denver, CO.
Interdisciplinary Collaboration: How Does It Work? A Panel Presentation. 2016 EHDI Meeting, March 2016, San Diego, CA.
Effective Early Intervention Services for Developing Listening and Spoken Language. Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Meeting, Louisville, KY, March 2015. With Judy Odendahl.
- AG Bell Association, Chair-Elect