Do you know you want to work with mathematics, but you do not necessarily want to become a research mathematician? Are you intrigued by the application of mathematics to areas outside of mathematics?
If your answer to either of these questions is “yes,” then a Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics is for you.
Applied Mathematics majors have a choice of one of the following application areas: accounting, biology, business, chemistry, computer science, cybersecurity, data analytics, education, finance, general science, psychology, or web development and design.
Our small class sizes, open-door policy for students and easy access to resources help ensure that you get the most out of your time here.
At Fontbonne, you work closely with faculty members who serve as both teachers and mentors. We infuse technology into our mathematics courses, giving students the edge they need for graduate school or the professional world. Employers are actively seeking people who can understand and apply mathematics; if you can provide them with that background, they will eagerly train you to do what they need.
Applied Mathematics Program Highlights
- Enjoy small class sizes and get all of the personal attention you deserve.
- Work with faculty mentors with whom you can pursue research.
- Earn a dual degree in computer science and engineering through Fontbonne’s agreements with the University of Missouri-Kansas City and Washington University in St. Louis.
- Enjoy the small-campus feel of camaraderie, community and service.
- Earn a minor in computer science, cyber security, or management information systems.
How Will I Benefit from this Major?
- Learn how to analyze and synthesize data.
- Learn how to draw conclusions from data and act accordingly.
- Develop logical, quantitative, and technical skills.
- Develop problem-solving skills and learn to effectively communicate solutions.
- Develop insights into the application of mathematics to the market place.
Applied Mathematics Course Samples
- MTH 430
Algebraic Structures3 credits
Covers algebraic structures including Boolean algebra, groups, rings, integral domains and fields and their applications, which may include: cryptography, coding theory, color patterns, and switching circuits. Prerequisites: MTH 120 and MTH 150. SP (Even)).
- MTH 150
Calculus with Analytic Geometry I3 credits
Differential and integral calculus of the algebraic and transcendental functions associated with analytic geometry. Prerequisite: Three years of high school mathematics including trigonometry with grades of B or better, or MTH 110 (with a grade of C- or better), or (MTH 105 and MTH 108) with grades of C- or better, or the consent of the instructor.
- MTH 120
Discrete Mathematics3 credits
Topics include: truth tables, propositional logic, sets, binary and equivalence relations, functions, matrices, binary, octal and hexadecimal number systems, combinatorics, proof by induction and recursion, and algorithms. Prerequisites: Competency in arithmetic and algebra. FA
Applied Mathematics majors have recently interned at several area companies, including: Anheuser Busch, Boeing, Emerson, Enterprise, Equifax Workforce Solutions, Maritz Corporation, National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, Nestle Purina, Reinsurance Group of America (RGA), and REJIS Commission.
What Are Recent Applied Mathematics Graduates Currently Doing?
- Business Intelligence Analysis at DISH Network
- Coordinator of Institutional Research at Fontbonne University
- Data Scientist at Boeing (Defense Supplier Management Division)
- Engineer, Outage Manager at Experitec, Inc.
- Engineer at CRB Consulting Engineers
- Financial Advisor at Edward Jones
- Functional Analyst and Developer at Boeing
- Paint Process Engineer at General Motors Corporation
- Patient Care Services Manager at Foundation Care, LLC
- Sales, Marketing, Management at California Custom Decks
- Software Engineer at Boeing
- Treasury Coordinator at SunEdison, Inc.
Applied Mathematics Career Opportunities
Questions? Contact our Office of Admission: 314-889-1400 or 1-800-205-5862 | email@example.com