Would you like to pursue what is considered to be the top-paying college degree?
Would you like to pursue what is considered to be the top-paying college degree? According to Code.org, jobs requiring computer-programming experience are growing at two times the national average; by 2020, there will be one million more jobs than students to fill them. According to the Department of Labor, employment of computer scientists is projected to grow by 15 percent within this next decade alone. Computer scientists have become the world’s movers and shakers in current and future development of hardware and software systems.
At Fontbonne, as you work toward a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, you will receive a solid foundation in computer theory, programming languages, operating systems, and software development. You will learn about computer architecture, robotics, database management systems, software engineering, mobile apps, telecommunications and networking, all while working with state-of-the-art technology. You will get a solid foundation in mathematics to prepare you for your career in computer science. Employers are actively seeking graduates who have the problem-solving and communication skills that are nurtured while earning your degree in computer science.
Fontbonne’s bachelor’s in computer science has been accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of ABET, the global accreditor of college and university programs in applied and natural science, computing, engineering and engineering technology. Graduates from an ABET-accredited program have a solid education foundation and are capable of leading the way in innovation and emerging technologies and anticipating the needs of the public.
Computer Science Program Highlights
- This program is accredited by ABET; it’s one of only eight such programs and one of only two private universities with this accreditation in Missouri!
- Enjoy small class sizes and get all of the personal attention you deserve.
- Take theory-based computer sciences courses while getting hands-on training in a close-knit community.
- Be part of a program where the curriculum is overseen by both the faculty and an advisory board of highly qualitied professionals.
- Work with faculty as teachers, mentors and research partners.
Intern with major St. Louis companies.
- Earn a web development certificate.
- Explore robotics and mobile app programming.
- Pursue a concentration in cybersecurity or minor in data analytics, both high-demand career paths.
- Earn a dual degree in computer science and engineering through Fontbonne’s agreements with the University of Missouri-Kansas City and Washington University in St. Louis
Computer Science Course Samples
Computer Architecture and Assembly Language
Topics covering theoretical aspects and concepts of hardware and computer systems including logic gates, combinational and sequential circuits, memory and registers, control logic design, instructions and addressing. Teaches programming in one assembly language. Prerequisites: CIS 161 and (CIS 120 or MTH 120). FA (Even)
Object-Oriented Programming (Java)
Introduction to concepts of abstract data type and inheritance. Topics include the fundamentals of object-oriented program design, object-oriented programming using Java. Lab exercises include introductory to intermediate level software analysis and design. Prerequisite: CIS 161. FA
Introduces students to the basics of modeling, design, planning, programming and control of robot systems. Topics include an exploration of the principles and algorithms for computation in the physical world, kinematics, geometric reasoning, motion planning, behavior-based artificial intelligence and some philosophical questions pertaining to the nature of intelligence in the physical world. Prerequisite: CIS 210, CIS 250 and MTH 151. FA (Even)
iOS and Android Programming
Provides students with the fundamental knowledge and skills needed to design and build iOS/Android apps using the most current iOS/Android programming platform. Students will complete multiple iOS/Android applications that run on iPhones/iPads/Android smartphones/tablets starting from simple ones to complex ones. Prerequisite: CIS 210. iOS Programming is offered SP (Odd) and Android Programming is offered SP (Even).
Larah Rogg talks about her internship at Express Scripts.
Recent Student Internships
- Charter Communications
- Northrup Grumman
- Sensient Technologies
- US Bank
Alumni in the Workforce
Fontbonne has a 100 percent job placement rate for computer science graduates!
- Business Owner (Patal Technologies) and Web Developer
- Marketing Database Decision Strategy Manager at Wells Fargo
- Manager-Unix Systems Administration at Web.com
- Programmer and Analyst at Boeing
- Service Integration Analyst at Monsanto
- Senior Web Designer and Developer at New LifeStyles, Inc.
- Software Developer at Stifel Nicolaus
- Systems Engineer for Washington University
- Senior Application Software Engineer at Centene Corporation
- Technical Program Manager II at Woot Services, LLC
Computer Science Career Opportunities
Questions? Contact our Office of Admission: 314-889-1400 or 1-800-205-5862 | firstname.lastname@example.org