Management Information Systems
Are you fascinated with how smoothly you can purchase Christmas gifts from Amazon.com? Are you intrigued with how Facebook and Twitter function? Do you wonder how your paycheck is generated, or how one registers for classes at his/her university?
If you answered, “yes,” to any of these questions, then this major is for you. The management information systems major is the glue that fuses computer science to the marketplace.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in this area will grow 15 percent within the next decade. Graduates could expect to explore opportunities in organizations such as computer companies, financial institutions, entertainment companies, institutions of higher education, school districts, retailers and companies related to the healthcare industry.
Management Information Systems Program Highlights
- Enjoy small class sizes and get all of the personal attention you deserve.
- Work closely with faculty as research partners.
- Work with state-of-the-art technology.
- Pursue a concentration in cybersecurity.
- Earn a certificate in web development.
- Work closely with Fontbonne’s Eckelkamp College of Global Business and Professional Studies.
- Enjoy the small-campus feel of camaraderie, community and service.
How Will I Benefit from this Major?
- Develop programming skills.
- Learn how to design, create and employ information systems.
- Work with state-of-the-art technology in our computer labs.
- Develop problem-solving skills and learn how to effectively communicate solutions.
- Develop insights into the application of computer science to the market place.
- Become part of a field that will enjoy 15 percent growth within the next decade.
- Explore job opportunities in just about any organization that is responsible for products and/or services.
Management Information Systems Course Samples
Computer Architecture and Assembly Language
Topics covering theoretical aspects and concepts of hardware and computer systems including logic gates, combinational and sequential circuits, memory and registers, control logic design, instructions and addressing. Teaches programming in one assembly language. Prerequisites: CIS 161 and (CIS 120 or MTH 120). FA (Even).
Database Management Systems
Provides comprehensive coverage of relational databases including data management, database design and evaluation, query design and evaluation, web interfacing and database security. Students will learn all the steps from data modeling (ER diagrams) to table generation and linking to accessing and querying using SQL. Prerequisite: CIS 161. FA.
Concepts of Telecommunications and Networking
Introduction to the principles and practice of data communication and computer networking. Topics include the theoretical aspects of various methods, media, protocols, data compression, and security in telecommunication. Also includes lab exercises of network and remote access configuration and data exchange. Prerequisites: CIS 161 and (CIS 120 or MTH 120) and (MTH 150 or consent of the instructor). FA (Odd)
What Are Recent Management Information Systems Graduates Currently Doing?
Fontbonne has a 100 percent job placement rate for management information systems graduates!
- IT Analyst, Application Design Manager for AT&T
- IT Infrastructure Support for Marcone, Stifel, Nicolaus
- IT Director at Gateway Buick GMC
- Lead Analyst, Field System Services at Panera Bread
- Program Manager at ARC, in Washington D.C.
- Software Developer at Boeing
Management Information Systems Career Opportunities
Questions? Contact our Office of Admission: 314-889-1400 or 1-800-205-5862 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer hours: Mon. – Thurs. 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Fri. 8 a.m. – noon