Where am I?
Fontbonne University, a Catholic coeducational institution of higher learning sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, is rooted in the Judeo-Christian tradition. The university is dedicated to the discovery, understanding, preservation and dissemination of truth. Undergraduate and graduate programs are offered in an atmosphere characterized by a commitment to open communication, personal concern and diversity. Fontbonne University seeks to educate students to think critically, to act ethically and to assume responsibility as citizens and leaders.
Fontbonne University aspires to be acknowledged as one of the nation’s premier Catholic universities, educating leaders to serve a world in need.
- Be known for a synthesis of liberal and professional education that promotes life-long learning and that enables students to see themselves as part of a diverse and changing world.
- Work together to develop academic programs and educational opportunities that reflect high standards, interdisciplinary thought and integrated understanding.
- Continue to promote thoughtful experiential and service learning, bridging the gap between theory and practice by taking the student beyond the university walls.
- Build or strengthen alliances with individuals and organizations that are bringing about positive changes in the global community.
- Graduate students who will be distinguished by their appreciation of learning and the arts, their social conscience, and their ability to reflect, communicate and act.
Fontbonne University honors the values and heritage of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet by fostering excellence, integrity, respect, diversity, community, justice, service, faith and Catholic identity.
Fontbonne University is committed to:
- Achieving academic and educational excellence
- Advancing historical remembrance, critical reflection and moral resolve
- Promoting dialogue among diverse communities
- Demonstrating care and respect for each member of the community
- Serving the larger community
- Preparing individuals to be an ethical and responsible presence to the world.
Statement of Catholic Identity
Fontbonne affirms its identity as a Catholic university. Sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, it is founded on the beliefs that all creation reveals God, that the ministry of Jesus began a process of redemption that extends to this day, and that the Holy Spirit continues to impart grace through the daily experiences of women and men. Among the many signs of God’s grace are teaching and learning, which at Fontbonne are pursued by people sharing a variety of religious beliefs and an understanding of the importance of education.
“Catholic” means “universal” and “throughout the whole,” like leaven permeating bread. The permeating quality of Fontbonne is our commitment to know, to love, and to serve the truth that unites faith and reason, nature and grace, the human and the divine. The desire for a greater understanding of creation and its Creator is one of the most profound expressions of human dignity. In this sense, to learn is to augment one’s capacity for love so that the thoughtful and loving acts of an educated person are a witness to the transformation of the world that began with the Resurrection and continues with the enlivening of humanity. What makes us truly human helps to unite us with the divine as we seek to understand, love, and serve God and neighbor without distinction.
The permeating and universal nature of Catholicism gives rise to the mission and vision of this university. Because Fontbonne is Catholic, we embrace openness and inclusiveness. Because Fontbonne is Catholic, we pursue educational excellence. And because Fontbonne is Catholic, we seek to recognize the presence of God in all creation and to participate in the continuing transformation of ourselves and a world in need.