Special Education Major - Paraprofessional Pathways℠
If you’re employed as a paraprofessional or teacher assistant in a special education school setting, and you’re ready to take the next steps to become a special education teacher, our online Paraprofessional Pathways℠ program is the path to teacher certification and earning a bachelor’s degree. Students will earn their Bachelor of Science in Special Education, along with certification in K-12 mild/moderate cross-categorical.
If you are employed as a paraprofessional or teacher assistant, this program could be your pathway to a career as a special education teacher.
Due to the unique structure of the Paraprofessional Pathways℠ program, you will be able to continue working while you complete your degree and certification. Field experience and/or student teaching may be completed outside of the Pathways program, depending on individual school district policy.
Our faculty members are educational practitioners with significant school-based experience. Their expertise will allow you to acquire the skills and knowledge you need in an interactive and supportive learning environment.
Special Education Major - Paraprofessional Pathways Program Highlights
- Available in an online format
- Two 16-week online courses in the fall and spring
- Two 8-week online courses in the summer
- Clinical experiences can be completed on-the-job
- This program is approved by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE). Fontbonne University meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation.
- EDU 266 Methods of Teaching Literacy
- EDU 270 Introduction to Learner Diversity
- EDU 306 Analysis and Correction of Reading Disabilities
- EDU 320 Transition/Career Education
- EDU 323 Mild and Moderate Disabi lities in Special Education: Identification and Instruction
Special Education Major - Paraprofessional Pathways℠ Career Opportunities
Questions? Contact our Office of Admission: 314-889-1400 or 1-800-205-5862 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer hours: Mon. – Thurs. 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Fri. 8 a.m. – noon