The Fontbonne social work program is newly accredited by the Council on Social Work Education and utilizes the most current knowledge, values and skills in social work education and professional practice.
The program’s generalist practice emphasis prepares students to become ethical professionals with the knowledge and skills to support social and economic justice as they serve and strengthen individuals, families and communities. The social work program combines classroom experiences, designed to lay the foundation for a lifetime of knowledge, with field work, opportunities for student to apply that knowledge in a real world environment.
Social Work Program Highlights
- Unique coursework grounded in Fontbonne’s Catholic heritage and the benefit of spirituality and religion in practice
- A campus-wide focus on “serving the dear neighbor without distinction”
- New program developed with the latest methods, theory and information
- Combination of classroom and field education
- Three categories of coursework: introductory, core and professional practice
- CERTIFICATES: The social work department offers a variety of certificate programs that can enrich the undergraduate major or provide additional skills and credentials for seasoned clinical professionals.
- Faculty are social workers and practicing professionals
- Preparation for LBSW or LBSW-IP exams or for graduate school with advanced standing
- Accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
- Student selected field placements through more than 450 field placement agencies
- Receive advance standing in your chosen Master’s of Social Work program – this can reduce the time needed to graduate!
- Agreement with St. Louis University helps accelerate the completion of your MSW
- 2+2 Partnership Program with Jefferson College
- SWK 110 Human Behavior and the Social Environment
- SWK 250 Generalist Social Work Practice I
- SWK 300 Social Issues and Social Welfare Policy
- SWK 400 Professional Synthesis of Generalist Practice
- SWK 450 Social Work Field Education I
- SWK 456 Field Education Practice Seminar II
- 24th Circuit Children’s Division
- Adult Day Care
- Crime Victim Advocacy
- Bayless School
- Behavior Solutions, Inc.
- BJC Hospice
- Bootheel Counseling Services and Rural Health Clinic
- Catholic Charities
- Child Health and Advocacy Center
- City Garden Project
- Decision Point Counseling
- Doer Center for Social Justice Education and Research
- Epworth Children and Family Services
- Fresnius Medical Services
- Kirkwood Highschool
- Illinois Center for Autism
- Legal Advocates
- Lutheran Family And Senior Services
- NASW Missouri Chapter
- Nazareth Living Center
- Memory Care Solutions
- Mental Health America East MO
- St. Mary’s Hospital
- St. Louis Children’s Hospital
- St. Louis County Department of Human Services
- St. Louis University Student Health and Counseling
- Veteran’s Home and Services
- Victim Services of St. Louis County
- Fall Semester trip to Washington D.C: Legislative Advocacy Federal Government
- Spring Semester trip to Jefferson City MO: Legislative Advocacy State Government
Fontbonne University’s Social Work Graduate Successes
- Carolyn Compton ’14: Neighborhood Advocate for the Central West End Neighborhood Security Initiative
- Samantha Gildehaus ’15: Case Management Counselor, Crisis Nursery, Washington, Mo.
- Treniece King ’14: Social Worker, St. Louis Special School District
- Brandi Palmisano ’15: Social Worker, Decision Point Counseling, Inc.
- Doreen Colenberg ’15: Social Worker, Places for People
- Holly Kennedy ’15: Social Worker, Fox School District
- Destiny Poertner ’14: Social Worker, Division of Family Services
Social Work Career Opportunities
Continuing Education Program
If you’re already a credentialed professional, we also offer advanced skills training in Expressive Arts and Integrative Therapy. Learn more about this 30-hour continuing education program.
National Healthcare Decision-Making Day Featured Fontbonne Social Work Connection
The Fontbonne University social work department was a co-sponsor of the National Healthcare Decision-Making Day open house and expressive arts workshop at St. Luke’s Hospital in Chesterfield April 18, 2017.
Questions? Contact our Office of Admission: 314-889-1400 or 1-800-205-5862 | email@example.com